Shutting laptop lid crashes machine.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Shutting laptop lid crashes machine.

Postby rasmack on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:31 am

So, I just tried Linux Mint for the first time (4.0 Main edition). Everything works fine and I was suitably impressed until the first time I had to shut the lid of the laptop and grab something behind it. When I opened the lid again I found only a black screen with the pointer arrow still where I left it.

I have tried setting the power management to "Do nothing" when I close the lid. Little does it help. I have run apt-get update/upgrade. No change there either. So, any suggestions?

The laptop is a Dell latitude X300.
rasmack
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shutting laptop lid crashes machine.

Postby BAD on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:46 am

I went to the doctor and told him my arm hurts when I move it like this. He said don't move it like that and it wont hurt.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Shutting laptop lid crashes machine.

Postby rasmack on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:19 am

Getting back from your medical problems to the subject at hand...?

EDIT: OK, this appears non-surprisingly to be an ACPI issue. Booting with ACPI=off provides a "fix". I guess the real question is now, how to get ACPI to work...
rasmack
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions