Security Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Security Questions

Postby unreal223 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I have a few security concerns.
1. Is there any security concerns about installing stuff through synaptic on public wifi? I would never do windows updates but I'm not sure about synaptic.

2. Is the firewall going to keep people off my computer by default on public wifi?(file sharing is off, ect?) I noticed I could very easilly access people computers on my schools wifi(they have no firewall and file sharing on I guess...) I just want to make sure they cant see my hard drive. (I know most are on windows anyway but I'm sure there are a few linux users around here too.)
unreal223
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Security Questions

Postby Zwopper on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 pm

The easy answer to both your questions are:
1. No
2. No

...I could be ellaborate, but I certain someone else will be! :-)
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jbaerbock on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Linux is very secure and the likely hood of anyone , even less a windows user, could see your HD is close to zilch. Even if they did unless the folders are designated as shared there is no way short of knowing your pass and hacking you they can get it.

Windows users cannot access you because Windows uses Samba which granted you can enable in Mint but for the most part they cannot see you. This is why most Linux users dont bother with Anti-Viral programs or firewalls, Linux is by default just that safe.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Zwopper on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Ok I can't help myself...
And NO sharing technology is installed by default in Mint, neither Samba nor NFS.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MagnusB on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Of course, it is not 100% secure, vulnerabilities will exist, but linux is generally pretty secure, no worries. XP/Windoze is only as secure as the 3rd party firewall you install (and don't get me started on the built in Windows firewall and Defender...)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm

MagnusB,

You mean that fine firewall that Windows supplies that is made with a double row of dry straw. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MagnusB on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:15 am

I mean that piece of **** software that MS forces you to install and offers no option to uninstall it... I remember MS AntiSoyware Beta 2, was actually usable, final release was ****, as go for the firewall that comes bundled as of Service Pack 2 (or earlier). Hrmf, one of the reasons I prefer Linux, it actually allows me to uninstall packages I don't want to keep, even if it is default software!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions