Desktop don't load

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Desktop don't load

Postby zduniec on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi,
I've installed mint linux on my laptop today. I turned the instalation of updates. Everything have downloaded and instalation started. At the end of instalation the updates, I had to leave my home, so I left laptop turned on to finish the instalation. After 2 hours, when I came back home, I could have only seen a black screen. Nothing was happening. I turned it off by holding the power button. When I turned it back on, logged in, the only thing I could have seen was the mouse coursor. Nothing have loaded, no desktop. Only thing was the mouse coursor. Enyone knows how could I repair it?? I don't know what to do. Please help.
zduniec
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Desktop don't load

Postby MagnusB on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Boot with failsafe Mint, when the shell loads type:
Code: Select all
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/xorg.confBAK

which make a backup of the xorg.conf file in your home folder. Then
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Scroll down to "Section "Device"" and check with Boardname that this is your graphics card, change
Driver "whatever"

to
Driver "vesa"

Hit Ctrl+X, then Y, then enter.
Or use
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

And go through the steps there. And perhaps the easiest way to go, do a liveCD session work? If that is the case, just copy the working xorg.conf from the liveCD to your disk (usually mounted at /media/disk):
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /media/disk/etc/X11/xorg.conf

change /media/disk to the mount point of your root partition. If anything is unclear, I will try to explain them better. You could also post your video card for more specific help.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby zduniec on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:07 pm

I did what you have written but there is still the same problem. When I followed the first method the login pannel didn't even showed on, there was only a console. When I coppied the file from the LiveCD there was still the same problem whitch you tried to help me with solving it. My graphic card is
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family, and the laptop I use is Acer 1691WLMi
zduniec
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:20 pm

That card should be supported by open source video drivers, sounds like your install were broken. You should try a new instal...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions