Administering Printing through CUPS

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Administering Printing through CUPS

Postby LadyH on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:22 pm

I've set up a print server on a Daryna build of Mint and am using CUPS to administer a printer queue.

We're in a public library situation where members of the public send print jobs and (in theory) they are to be held in a print queue until manually released by one of the librarians at the circ desk. (The reason we've set this up is because we've had a serious paper wastage problem with people printing junk and then not claiming their print jobs.)

So, I've had few problems setting up a print server and installing the printer icon on all our Win2K machines and am able to print from a public computer, hold it, and release it manually.

Two Questions:

1. I can access the CUPS interface from a computer at the circ desk. (Yay!) However, whenever I try to move a print job, it asks me for a login. Even though I've set up several logins on the server, it will only accept the root login and my own personal login. Since I have no desire to hand out my password to the library staff, I created an account named "printing" and gave it (what I thought was) administrative rights over printing. However, whenever I put in that login name and correct password, it doesn't do anything, but asks for my login again, over and over and over, past the three "timeouts" I've set. (Now, if I neglect to enter my password, it'll give me a "401 Forbidden" message, which is what it's supposed to do for an incorrect login/password.) Why won't it accept the "printing" login as having administrative rights?

I'm not sure what else I can do. In CUPS and also in SWAT I designated the login "printing" as having printing administrative rights. Is there anywhere else I need to do to set it as administrator over printing (aka, some sort of chmod command or something)? I certainly can't find anything in SWAT or CUPS, other than the printer admin lines.

Let me know if you need any further info (like key lines of my smb.conf file) to help me solve this problem.

2. Currently in CUPS I've set up our print holding thus: I've set up a print queue for our HP5200 printer. this queue is set as "paused". Then, to "release" a print job, the job is moved to another queue (set up as a raw print queue) called "PrintQ". This is unpaused, and the job goes through.

Now, print jobs have a "hold" button, but I can't find any setting in CUPS that will allow me to set a printer as "holding all jobs". It would be so much easier for our library staff to just click a "release job" button, instead of going through the several steps of moving a job to PrintQ.

How do I set up a printer to hold all jobs without pausing the printer and then moving jobs to an unpaused print queue?

About me: I'm the resident computer geek at the library. Hardware and software support is pretty much all I do (Windows and Mac). I don't have too much recent Linux experience, but did use Unix at university about fifteen years ago (yeah, like I can really remember line commands now). I prefer GUI interfaces, but can use a text-based prompt if my hand is held. Pretend I'm a complete newbie (which I am, sort of).
LadyH
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Administering Printing through CUPS

Postby LadyH on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Okay, after posting this message yesterday, a mate sold me a clue:

The reason I couldn't get a certain login to release print jobs in CUPS was because I hadn't added it to the "lpadmin" group (under "Users and Groups" in the Control Centre). Once I did that, the problem was solved. (I can be such a noob sometimes!)

My other question of how to set a printer to hold all jobs, instead of pausing the printer still stands, so if anyone's got a clue on that, I'd love to hear it.

Now, I know I can send a print job via a line command in the terminal window and set a hold parameter there (per job), but I prefer the CUPS interface because I'm setting up this print server for library staff. Having a GUI interface with clickable buttons is so much easier for them to use.
LadyH
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kwisher on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:37 pm

LadyH,

Please visit the link below. I'm not sure if it addresses your specific problem but it helped me getting my print server set up on Fedora.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho ... ge=1&pp=15

Hope this helps.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby LadyH on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks, Kwisher. :D

this, from your suggested Fedora forum...

Now that you're in the Wizard, click "Next". It will ask if you're adding a local or networked printer - Select Networked.
Enter your address as:
http://linux_hostname_or_ip:631/printer ... queue_name

...actually helped. I'd been trying to connect to the printer through the local network windows-style, when I should have been referencing the URL instead.

One problem solved, so many, many more to go.

Oh well. I guess this is how one learns more about Linux.
LadyH
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions