I/0 error reading boot cd?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I/0 error reading boot cd?

Postby Oliver on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi,
i recently created a boot cd/live disk and placed it in my laptops cd drive goes to boot menu all goes well comes up with the mint start screen with 3 options as it should but then when i click on "start linux mint" then i get a box saying "I/0 error reading boot cd" Also at the top it says disk error 5D, AX4200, drive F. So any ideas why/ how i can sort out this problem?

Oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I/0 error reading boot cd?

Postby MagnusB on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Did you check the MD5 sum before burning the ISO?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Oliver on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:56 pm

MagnusB wrote:Did you check the MD5 sum before burning the ISO?

Erm.... no :( so should i try again running MD5??, what should i be looking for???

Oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 pm

You should check the MD5sum of the ISO. If you are running linux, open a terminal, then type:
Code: Select all
cd /path/to/iso
md5sum nameof.iso

If you are using windows, use Nullriver WinMD5sum. This is to check the integrity of the ISO file, it should be equal to what is listed on the download page. Sounds to me like you have burned a bad ISO.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Oliver on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Wohoo! got a cd working but i have a new problem, i start it all up and it comes to a loading screen then after a few minutes it comes up with a black screen hangs for a moment, then says "Not loading blacklisted module ipv6" any idea what gone wrong now :(
Oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rwbronco on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:40 pm

I'm having the same problem. I can install an operating system from an ISO using Parallels on my Macbook and so I haven't even burned the CD. I downloaded the ISO, and chose the .iso file during setup as the install CD. If I'm not even burning the ISO how am I getting this error?
rwbronco
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions