File is being ignored. pllleassse help fast

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

File is being ignored. pllleassse help fast

Postby techtech on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:00 pm

When I try to log in, It says "User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This Prevents The default session and Language from being saved. File Should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME Directory must be owned by user and net writable by other users."

Then it says "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean there is some installation problem or that you may be out of disk space. Try Logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem. (process:5498) : Gtk-Warning **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid. This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper program instead. For further details, see:

http://www.gtk.orh/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup

(x-setup-manager :5495) : libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Unable to create ~/.gnome2 directory: Permission denied
Could not create per-user gnome configuration directory ´/home/apul/.gnome2':permission denied

I tried to install gtk+, I wasn't sure what I was doing. I've tried fixing it on failsafe terminal, but I wouldn't know where to start. I haven't had linux for long and don't know how to work it really. So if you could tell me step by step how to fix this it would be great.

Thanks
nooby
techtech
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: File is being ignored. pllleassse help fast

Postby 67GTA on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:50 pm

The permissions have been changed in your /home folder somehow. Assuming you can boot to the desktop, open a terminal and execute
Code: Select all
sudo chmod 644 .dmrc

This should restore permissions. If you can't get to the desktop, just boot in to recovery mode, log in, and do it there.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby techtech on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:22 pm

whenever i try to type my password in it doesn't type anything
nooby
techtech
Level 1
Level 1

Postby techtech on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 pm

it also says "connot access '.dmrc' :no such file or directory
nooby
techtech
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:29 pm

The password will not show up when you are typing it. Just type it in and hit enter. It sounds like you might have some more permission problems. That usually fixes it. Try the commands from this link:

http://liltux.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/ ... dmrc-file/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions