[SOLVED] Importing Outlook Express mail

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Importing Outlook Express mail

Postby kwisher on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum topic area for this question....

How can I import my mail messages from MS Outlook Express to Thunderbird? I've searched high and low. I found one how-to that had you install the Windows version of Thunderbird. It automatically imported every thing from OE. Then You were supposed to copy the Profiles folder into your home folder for Mint. But for some reason this does not work for me.

Another how-to had me install K-mail and import and then save the messages as a mailbox file. I do not find this format being supported in Thunderbird's import feature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess as a last resort I can forward all my mail to myself but I have a lot of them.
Last edited by kwisher on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Importing Outlook Express mail

Postby kwisher on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I figured out why the how-to below was not working:

http://www.howtoforge.com/importing_out ... _evolution

When you copy the profile folder into your Linux home folder, make sure the permissions are set correctly. When I changed the user permission from root to me everything finally showed up.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions