System lockups via Synaptic

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

System lockups via Synaptic

Postby MedianMajik on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:51 pm

I just installed Mint 4.0 Main Distribution (Gnome) on a desktop I just put together from new parts, which runs Windows XP home on a separate hard drive. I have previous experience with Xandros on my Eee.

Specs: AMD64 4000+, Biostar 6100-M9 Mobo, 2gb Kingston Value DDR2-667, 512mb EVGA Nvidia 8600, Broadcom onboard gb lan, Micro$oft Natural Ergonomic 4000 usb keyboard, Thermaltake 600w Purepower, 80gb Seagate sata 2.5"

Installation was painless with Mint locating the Nvidia and Broadcom drivers right away. I used mintUpdate with no problem, but had my system lockup while installing application updates through synaptic.

This is the error I got:
Selecting previously deselected package songbird
(Reading database ... 94417 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking songbird (from .../songbird_0.3-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up network-manager (0.6.5-0Ubunutu16.7.10.0) ...
*Reloading system message bus config...
...done
*Restarting network connection manager Network Manager
dpkg: error processing network-manager (--configure) :
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up songbird (0.3- 1~getdeb1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
network-manager

At this point my System locks up. The mouse will still work. Launched apps will show up in the taskbar, but not run. The system monitor was frozen. Keyboard locks up. Network connection is lost. All I am able to do from there is reset. Any help is very much appreciated.
MedianMajik
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: System lockups via Synaptic

Postby JohnH on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:27 am

Hi there,

The problem seems to be with network manager rather than Synaptic. Synaptic is simply a graphical means to painlessly install/uninstall/update packages.

Since the problem seems to have come from the update of network manager, I would suggest that you go into Synaptic and do a complete uninstall of the package and then reinstall it. See if that makes a difference.

Another option to would be to try to locate, download and install the older version that was working without a problem.

There may well be a glitch in the update that clashes with your Linux box, but what it is I don't know. If this is a persistent problem others will post concerns too. Try doing search of an answer if that is the case.

I don't have any other suggestions at this point

Best of luck with it.

John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions