[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gillmt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by gillmt »

esteban1uy wrote:
gillmt wrote:I moved to my LMDE box and so far have not had any freezes using Libre Office - which froze whenever i tried to save a document or scrolled through it and made using spreadsheets impossible.
@gillmt: You mean LibreOffice alone froze, or Cinnamon froze while using LibreOffice?

@everybody: Please, if you have the chance, download the iso image of LMDE+Cinnamon and give it a try. If there are no freezes in LMDE then we can propose a solution.
Sorry - whole system locked up - mouse moved but no actions possible, keyboard froze, required restart.
okko7

Post by okko7 »

Just cross-posting from this bug report a suitable workaround: Built cinnamon and muffin from the "stable" source code into deb files and installed them.

Detailed description of the process here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

okko7 wrote:Just cross-posting from this bug report a suitable workaround: Built cinnamon and muffin from the "stable" source code into deb files and installed them.

Detailed description of the process here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955
Isn't this the same as adding the "cinnamon-stable" branch of lebihan's ppa?:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

gksu gedit /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
    Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
    Pin-Priority: 700

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote:
okko7 wrote:Just cross-posting from this bug report a suitable workaround: Built cinnamon and muffin from the "stable" source code into deb files and installed them.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Yup, It's pretty much the same thing except it can't be reversed as easily as using "ppa-purge". :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

kmb42vt wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Yup, It's pretty much the same thing except it can't be reversed as easily as using "ppa-purge". :D
Can't be reversed? :shock:
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I stick whit the nightly build, i had no freeze any more since i use it.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote:Can't be reversed? :shock:
Download source, compile and manually install .debs you built. Can't "ppa-purge" that you know. However, you can make note of what packages you built, drop to a command prompt, remove the packages and then reinstall the same packages from the repositories via the command prompt. That should get you back to square one. Either way, installing from a PPA and then running "ppa-purge" to revert is a lot easier than having to do it manually.

Or you could add the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA and update over what you built? But what would it revert to if you ran "ppa-purge"? You might end up with Gnome 2 or Fluxbox or something (only kidding).

Or do you already know this? :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

kmb42vt wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:Can't be reversed? :shock:
Download source, compile and manually install .debs you built. Can't "ppa-purge" that you know. However, you can make note of what packages you built, drop to a command prompt, remove the packages and then reinstall the same packages from the repositories via the command prompt. That should get you back to square one. Either way, installing from a PPA and then running "ppa-purge" to revert is a lot easier than having to do it manually.

Or you could add the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA and update over what you built? But what would it revert to if you ran "ppa-purge"? You might end up with Gnome 2 or Fluxbox or something (only kidding).

Or do you already know this? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are a couple of tricks you can always use to reverse some custom package installations. For example, de "apt-cache policy" trick.
Let's say you've manually compiled and created the cinnamon package set (as in Clem's tuto). Now let's say you want to revert to the original Mint 13 set, then you only have to go to synaptic, take note of the name of each local package (those compiled by yourself and manually installed) and then execute this at a terminal:

apt-cache policy name_of_the_package
The result is the list of all possible sources for that package (local, mint repos or ppas) with their version names. With that info you can force the downgrade of certain package. In the case of cinnamon, apt-cache reports that the original package is at http://packages.linuxmint.com/ and the version is 1.4-UP3, so you can force the installation of that specific package from Mint's repo this way:

sudo apt-get install cinnamon=1.4-UP3
LogansRun

Post by LogansRun »

I just want to let everyone know that I was able to easily fix this problem by switching my default desktop environment to GNOME Classic. As much as I love Cinnamon, I'm sticking with GNOME until I receive word that a fixed version of Cinnamon has come out. The success some of you seem to have had by early-adopting the next version of Cinnamon makes me optimistic, but I'll just wait until it hits the repos.

And to the guy complaining that we're ignoring him because we're talking about Cinnamon and his MATE is freezing - perhaps that's a different glitch altogether? In fact, the wide variety of symptoms (and potential fixes) in this thread would lead me to believe that there may be a few different glitches at play. Personally, I never experienced any issues with Firefox or VLC, like some people are reporting; my problem happened specifically and exclusively at the intersection of LibreOffice and Cinnamon.
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

EDITED/REMOVED on July 15th as what I posted here did not fix the proiblem. See my newer post.
Last edited by KoHoSo on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

I am having a similar problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=107089

I saw your post says "Solved" but after reading it appears not solved as much as you dealt with it by changing to GNOME.

When you say "GNOME Classic" do you mean MATE? or the official GNOME released desktop?

I know that on this particular hardware (Thinkpad T60 with 2gb RAM) Cinnamon does not work.

Best regards,
Clinton
okko7

Post by okko7 »

I still consider this bug as unsolved. Thus, would it be possible that the OP removes the [solved] from this forum thread (even though there is a work around)? 

And if there is any of the Linux Mint Developers reading these lines: Is there any specific reason not to assigning this bug to anyone?

Simon
schendstok

Post by schendstok »

After installing the latest cinnamon builds from ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly my freezing problems seemed fixed, but some people in this thread suggested that using the packages from the stable ppa would also work: (ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable).
So I have downgraded and tried that solution. I conclude that the packages in the stable version do not solve my freezing problem. I experienced freezes during the use of VirtualBox, Firefox and PS3 media server.
So the solution I would suggest is using the current nightly builds.
This really is a big problem. Random desktop freezes should not happen in modern operating systems. This is extremely damaging to the LinuxMint brand (and to Ubuntu and Linux in general).
I tried looking at the logs to see if I could find the problem, but the problem seems so vague and random that I'm not sure what to look for.
The nightly build updates the following packages:
gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0
cinnamon
gir1.2-muffin-3.0
libmuffin0
mint-x-icons
muffin-common

So I would think the problem is fixed during the changes between current stable and nightly in those packages.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

schendstok wrote:This really is a big problem. Random desktop freezes should not happen in modern operating systems. This is extremely damaging to the LinuxMint brand (and to Ubuntu and Linux in general)
I agree. Once the LTS came out, I was excited to upgrade numerous client machines, thought that by the time Cinnamon came with a LTS version, I could do these upgrades. Now I am faced with a number of poor options, but Cinnamon is not 'produciion ready.'

Has anybody determined if this is a problem with certain hardware combinations? or is this issue across the board?

Thanks.
Thinkpad T60, 15", 2gb RAM, Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

SunWorks wrote:Has anybody determined if this is a problem with certain hardware combinations? or is this issue across the board?
It seems to be a very hardware specific bug. There's a vast majority of Mint 13+Cinnnamon users that never experienced a single hiccup since the very release of the Maya edition.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

Any way to document a trend?
Is there any information those of us with headaches can help isolate the hardware 'cocktail' that seems to be the problem? If you need information, please let me know what I can provide.

Thank you,
clinton
schendstok

Post by schendstok »

esteban1uy wrote: It seems to be a very hardware specific bug. There's a vast majority of Mint 13+Cinnnamon users that never experienced a single hiccup since the very release of the Maya edition.
I don't agree that you can make that conclusion. All I know is that updating a number of non-hardware related packages (= not kernel related) solved my freezing problem. Also I use nvidia drivers on a PAE 32bit kernela and I see a lot of people with other hardware configurations.
It could be that the old versions of Cinnamon/muffin called a OpenGL function that has a bug in the nvida driver code. If the new versions doesn't call the buggy function anymore that would seem to "fix" a hardware driver problem, but otherwise I think it is more likely a bug in Cinnamon.

How do you know that the vast majority does not have this problem? Because they haven't complaint on this forum? A rather bold statement, imho.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

okko7 wrote:I still consider this bug as unsolved. Thus, would it be possible that the OP removes the [solved] from this forum thread (even though there is a work around)? 

And if there is any of the Linux Mint Developers reading these lines: Is there any specific reason not to assigning this bug to anyone?

Simon
I think its unassigned because its been fixed in later versions of Cinnamon (nightly and stable), although I'm not sure.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

schendstok wrote:How do you know that the vast majority does not have this problem? Because they haven't complaint on this forum? A rather bold statement, imho.
There are three places you have to look to get an idea of the number of users affected by this bug: this forum thread, the Mint bug report page at Launchpad and the bug report section at Cinnamon's GitHub page.
Now count the number of users reporting the bug at those three places, compare it with the whole Cinnamon's user base (here you can get an estimate) and do your own numbers.

Still not convinced?
SunWorks wrote:Is there any information those of us with headaches can help isolate the hardware 'cocktail' that seems to be the problem? If you need information, please let me know
Please, execute the following code in a terminal and post the results here at the forum:

inxi -Fc 0
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Forgive me not reading all 20 pages, so i may have missed this, but I got sick of random freezing, googled til my eyes fell out, compared notes, re-installed, and didn't install the Nvidia graphics drivers, and have had zero freezes, leading me to see a connection between the nvidia drivers and this issue. Annoying, but since the newest wine doesn't seem to want to work with Pulseaudio anynmore, I can no longer play Far Cry in mInt anyway, so there goes half my needf for them. : /
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Beginner Questions”