[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by kmb42vt »

Midnighter wrote:Forgive me not reading all 20 pages, so i may have missed this, but I got sick of random freezing, googled til my eyes fell out, compared notes, re-installed, and didn't install the Nvidia graphics drivers, and have had zero freezes, leading me to see a connection between the nvidia drivers and this issue. Annoying, but since the newest wine doesn't seem to want to work with Pulseaudio anynmore, I can no longer play Far Cry in mInt anyway, so there goes half my needf for them. : /
I've pretty much proven it's not any sort of proprietary video driver that causes the problem or any "specific" hardware setup. And although one or the other or both can exacerbate the situation, they are not the cause. I have a desktop PC with an Intel Core2 quad processor, Nvidia chipset and a dedicated Nvidia GT 430 video card. I use the latest version of the Nvidia driver offered in the repos and have absolutely no freezing problems at all.

I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 with a Intel Core2 (Mobile) dual core processor, Intel 965 chipset, Intel wireless hardware and video hardware (X3100 HD). It requires no proprietary drivers at all since all are already built into the kernel and the laptop experiences the freezing problem--badly. But it's not the kernel.

What solved the problem for me and others who have the same problem, as I have posted previously, was to add the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA, modify my /etc/apt/preferences file to accept updates from the PPA and update cinnamon and muffin and their associated dependencies using MintUpdate.

Right now, to me at least, it appears that it might be a problem in "libmuffin" but that's not for sure yet. All I know is that the updates from the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA solves the problem. If you want to give it a try follow this procedure:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p593454
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
frankb

Post by frankb »

Midnighter wrote:Forgive me not reading all 20 pages, so i may have missed this, but I got sick of random freezing, googled til my eyes fell out, compared notes, re-installed, and didn't install the Nvidia graphics drivers, and have had zero freezes, leading me to see a connection between the nvidia drivers and this issue. Annoying, but since the newest wine doesn't seem to want to work with Pulseaudio anynmore, I can no longer play Far Cry in mInt anyway, so there goes half my needf for them. : /
I have Mint 13/Cinnamon on both a desktop system with Nvidia graphics and proprietary driver, and on a laptop with intel graphics. I have never experienced the freeze described here on the desktop/Nvidia system, but do experience it occasoionally on the laptip/Intel system.

On my laptop, the freezes are rare, so I haven't been motivated enough to try any of the proposed fixes.

Frank
juliobm

Post by juliobm »

There are three places you have to look to get an idea of the number of users affected by this bug: this forum thread, the Mint bug report page at Launchpad and the bug report section at Cinnamon's GitHub page.
Now count the number of users reporting the bug at those three places, compare it with the whole Cinnamon's user base (here you can get an estimate) and do your own numbers.

Still not convinced?
I think most of us dont want to register in these pages only to say "i get freezes too!". We are legion... :lol:

Code: Select all

julio@hal ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: hal Kernel: 3.2.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: Intel model: DG33BU version: AAD79951-407
           Bios: Intel version: DPP3510J.86A.0517.2009.0107.2203 date: 01/07/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1998.00 MHz 2: 1998.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: xxxxxxx
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 410.1GB (19.3% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3250310AS 250.1GB 
           2: /dev/sdb ST3160021A 160.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 38G used: 4.8G (14%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 131G used: 69G (56%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap ID: swap-2 size: 3.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 139 Uptime: 2:02 Memory: 339.1/2998.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
julio@hal ~ $ 
EddieW

Post by EddieW »

Well, I've been playing with this a lot over the past five days or so, ... actually since my last post where I uploaded a log of one of my sessions. Like everyone else, I come up with ideas to try and they seem to help for a bit and the BOOM! ... the system freezes again.

I thought the problem might be related to using the scroll wheel on my mouse since the freezes mostly happen when LibreOffice Writer or Calc is open ... so I stopped using the scroll wheel. Worked great for most of the first day, and then it froze as I was shutting the system down.

I keep most of my data on an external Passport HD and I thought the drive latency might be part of the problem, so yesterday I copied files I could use to test the theory onto a flash drive and unplugged the Passport HD, as well as my printer. The only thing I had connected was the USB wireless mouse transceiver and the flash drive. I ran the session from the Live DVD of Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon. I opened six desktops and had programs running on all of them, so the laptop was pretty heavily loaded down. I could do everything I wanted to and it seemed as if this was the answer ... for about 30 minutes. Then it froze.

I tried several combinations of things, even disconnecting the USB Mouse and using the touch pad. Nothing helps. I'm out of ideas for now!

I felt sure I was on to something with the HD latency idea, but no luck!

The thing that is interesting to me is that there doesn't seem to be any one trigger for this problem. It can be duplicated, but everybody seems to have had a different experience with it... What are we overlooking?

EW
Wallace, NC
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

juliobm wrote:I think most of us dont want to register in these pages only to say "i get freezes too!". We are legion... :lol:
It is EXTREMELY important to report bugs, because that's the only way the developer team could have an idea of the number of affected users, the characteristics of the systems, the way the bug manifests, and with all that information they could deduce the nature of the bug and create a solution.
It's not only important for you own benefit, but for the whole community!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh, by the way, I directly consulted one of the Cinnamon developers at #linuxmint-dev and he gave me a very raw estimate of the number of Cinnamon users: it's something between 50.000 and 100.000. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

esteban1uy wrote:Please, execute the following code in a terminal and post the results here at the forum:

inxi -Fc 0
sun@sun-ThinkPad-T60-15 ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System: Host: xxxxx Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: LENOVO (portable) product: 6369CTO version: ThinkPad T60
Mobo: LENOVO model: 6369CTO Bios: LENOVO version: 7IET27WW (1.08 ) date: 04/30/2007
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 CPU T5500 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Intel 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000e
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:15:58:c5:ed:3c
Card-2: Atheros AR5418 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5008E 802.11(a)bgn] (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:19:7e:91:13:f1
Drives: HDD Total Size: 60.0GB (39.5% used) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK6034GS 60.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 21G used: 5.2G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 34G used: 17G (53%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 2.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 43.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2976
Info: Processes: 148 Uptime: 13:29 Memory: 521.7/2004.4MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
sun@sun-ThinkPad-T60-15 ~ $
al3xsh

Post by al3xsh »

I get the same freezing issues on my Toshiba Tecra R10 laptop:

alex@alex-laptop ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: alex-laptop Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: TECRA R10 version: PTRB1E-00R00REN
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC version: Version A0 Bios: TOSHIBA version: Version 1.30 date: 10/02/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P9400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:21:5d:e1:24:ac
           Card-2: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1c:7e:23:1f:b3
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 200.0GB (59.0% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS72322 200.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 184G used: 110G (64%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 138 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 319.0/2876.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
alex@alex-laptop ~ $
It actually makes using libre office (with the mouse scroll wheel) impossible. I have tried using the latest "official" Oracle JRE (1.7.0_05), and tried to switch to gdm (though installing via apt-get / synaptic was unsuccessful so I didn't manage to do this).

I am reluctant to add the nightly build ppa (as I don't want it to upgrade every day!) but I might have a go at the stable version.

Cheers,

Alex
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

al3xsh wrote: I am reluctant to add the nightly build ppa (as I don't want it to upgrade every day!) but I might have a go at the stable version.
You don't have to update every day - you could install it and just not upgrade it.
al3xsh

Post by al3xsh »

cwwgateway wrote:
al3xsh wrote: I am reluctant to add the nightly build ppa (as I don't want it to upgrade every day!) but I might have a go at the stable version.
You don't have to update every day - you could install it and just not upgrade it.
Cool - I shall try that!

As an aside - I tried scrolling with libre office on the live cd install and still crashed it. Basically I just opened a new blank document - pressed enter until the document was a few pages long and scrolled up and down with the mouse & it crashed almost instantly.

Cheers,

Alex
clatworthy

Post by clatworthy »

Alex, this echoes my "guaranteed to fail" test from page 3 of this blog which others have tested with the same result. Here's my test - guaranteed to crash the system. Open Writer (not Calc), add a table, insert text into the cells, Ctrl C and Ctrl V a few times and hey presto, all you can do is move your mouse/cursor around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that can be done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like others, I have performed a completely fresh install of Mint 12 and Gnome. Put another way, I gave up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whilst the effort and time put into this is fantastic, I can only disagree with the comments made throughout this log that this is a hardware specific issue. The problems have been experienced by people with nVidia, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] and other graphics cards. Well no surprises there! The two largest chip makers and the believed best graphics card manufacturer in the world. Probably find more coincidence with the number of pins in the mains plug (3 I'm in the UK). This is my attempt at humour :mrgreen:

I hope this does get a SOLVED status soon as I really enjoyed using Cinnamon.
juliobm

Post by juliobm »

clatworthy wrote:Alex, this echoes my "guaranteed to fail" test from page 3 of this blog which others have tested with the same result. Here's my test - guaranteed to crash the system. Open Writer (not Calc), add a table, insert text into the cells, Ctrl C and Ctrl V a few times and hey presto, all you can do is move your mouse/cursor around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that can be done.

Like others, I have performed a completely fresh install of Mint 12 and Gnome. Put another way, I gave up.
Whilst the effort and time put into this is fantastic, I can only disagree with the comments made throughout this log that this is a hardware specific issue. The problems have been experienced by people with nVidia, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] and other graphics cards. Well no surprises there! The two largest chip makers and the believed best graphics card manufacturer in the world. Probably find more coincidence with the number of pins in the mains plug (3 I'm in the UK). This is my attempt at humour :mrgreen:

GOOD TEST !! It works for me to get freeze !
I agree all your comment !
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Could somebody affected by this run cinnamon --replace in terminal and post any error message that appears when it freezes?
(I don't need the full output which is quite long, just the message about the freeze)
If it has already been posted here, please excuse me, I haven't checked all 20 pages of this topic.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
al3xsh

Post by al3xsh »

AlbertP wrote:Could somebody affected by this run cinnamon --replace in terminal and post any error message that appears when it freezes?
(I don't need the full output which is quite long, just the message about the freeze)
If it has already been posted here, please excuse me, I haven't checked all 20 pages of this topic.
Nothing shows up in my terminal window at the time of the freeze. When libreoffice is started I see:

(cinnamon:5580): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported 
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx 
but this is before it crashes.

Cheers,

Alex
Pehko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pehko »

clatworthy wrote:Alex, this echoes my "guaranteed to fail" test from page 3 of this blog which others have tested with the same result. Here's my test - guaranteed to crash the system. Open Writer (not Calc), add a table, insert text into the cells, Ctrl C and Ctrl V a few times and hey presto, all you can do is move your mouse/cursor around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that can be done.

Is my cinnamon broken because this "guaranteed to fail" test didn't work for me. I'm one of those who's 13 is working fine, except fist time after i did get my graphics driver working, cinnamon menu visible and click with right button at opera -> freeze. After that (~ 2 weeks) only problem has been wine. Here is my inxi -fc 0 for comparison:

ttr@Frisbee ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System: Host: Frisbee Kernel: 3.2.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 3750G version: V1.13
Mobo: Acer model: JE30_HR Bios: INSYDE version: V1.13 date: 10/31/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2350M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520M]
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c
IF: eth0 state: down mac: e0:69:95:94:ca:d7
Card-2: Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 74:de:2b:39:2f:67
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (2.4% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54505 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 47G used: 12G (26%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.43GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A
Info: Processes: 149 Uptime: 1:02 Memory: 547.0/7839.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
ttr@Frisbee ~ $
AdamFirst
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AdamFirst »

I've got the problem, and I've moved to Gnome Classic. I'll try Cinnamon, which I really like, again after a general Cinnamon update.

I don't think the posted solutions warrant the use of "Solved" in the header.
PcMojo

Post by PcMojo »

The guaranteed to crash test doesn't work for me, I can ctrl-c, x, & v for hours without issue. I lock up when I scroll with the mouse wheel in Writer in a large document that has tables copied from a web page. Many times just scrolling up and down will crash it, other times after I click on a table and then try to scroll. As far as I can remember, I always had Firefox running when the crash occurred. While I haven't read the whole thread, I read most of it. I have upgraded to the latest kernel but still have crashes. Some people were claiming that going to Sun's latest Java from open Java was a fix. Did that turn out not to be true or only work for a few people? Has anybody tried Open Office instead of Libre? Since it seems to happen during mouse scrolls and keyboard commands, most of which are usb these days, could it be some usb issue? Has anyone experienced a crash during ctrl-x/c/v activities using a keyboard that wasn't a usb? Has anyone experienced a crash while scrolling with a mouse that wasn't a usb?

It just occurred to me that a few years back Ms Office switched to an xml or more web based document structure. I wonder if LibreOffice did the same. Maybe that's why the “guaranteed crash test” works for some and not others. I don't use .odf, I use .doc. But the document that crashes my system is a .doc that is made up of cut & pasted sections (including tables) from various web pages and I think all crashes occurred when Firefox was running. I just did the activities that normally result in a crash without Firefox running and there was no crash.

What are the common denominators? Cinnamon, LibreOffice, integrated browser running, command input from usb device and possibly Java (isn't LibreOffice written in Java?) For the person the figures this out, why don't we all pitch in and give them a coupon for a free Cinnamon desktop upgrade!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Pehko wrote: Is my cinnamon broken because this "guaranteed to fail" test didn't work for me. I'm one of those who's 13 is working fine, except fist time after i did get my graphics driver working, cinnamon menu visible and click with right button at opera -> freeze. After that (~ 2 weeks) only problem has been wine. Here is my inxi -fc 0 for comparison:

ttr@Frisbee ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System: Host: Frisbee Kernel: 3.2.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 3750G version: V1.13
Mobo: Acer model: JE30_HR Bios: INSYDE version: V1.13 date: 10/31/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2350M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520M]
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c
IF: eth0 state: down mac: e0:69:95:94:ca:d7
Card-2: Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 74:de:2b:39:2f:67
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (2.4% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54505 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 47G used: 12G (26%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.43GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A
Info: Processes: 149 Uptime: 1:02 Memory: 547.0/7839.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
ttr@Frisbee ~ $
If you're not experiencing the problem then you should be fine. As I've said before on this thread, my desktop PC runs fine with Maya/Cinnamon--no freezes. My laptop however, experienced system freezes with Maya/Cinnamon when doing the "guaranteed to fail" test. Adding the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA solved this for me. Changing the kernel and Java did not. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Here's an extra bit of fluff about this freezing problem that I've noticed. Scrolling through a large document in LO Writer does not freeze the system if it's an .odt file. If it's a .doc or .docx file then the freeze occurs. This is on my Thinkpad R61 laptop if I'm running a fully updated Maya install with the default Cinnamon DE that originally came with the install (1.4 UP3--no build number). I say original since Cinnamon hasn't been updated since the original Maya release date. Changing the kernel and Java did not solve the problem for me nor did updating to the latest stable Cinnamon (via PPA). Updating Cinnamon to the latest Nightly build (via the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA) did solve the problem.

It wouldn't be a problem for me if the "accepted" world document standard was based on odf...but it's not. :wink:

Forgive me for repeating myself about the nightly builds of Cinnamon. I do that for the new folks that just recently joined the thread. You new folks can check back along the thread for the link to the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA instructions if you wish to try it yourself. It's been mentioned more than once. :D
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Have been using this since it came out without a solid freeze but not using LO either. In the doghouse now because wifey had FF going and inserted flash drive, opened a .docx, scrolled to the bottom, and everything froze except the mouse pointer. The frozen GKrellM did not show anything unusual and after a hard reset found the debug file much longer than usual but I am not a debugger. I tried to duplicate all the actions that caused the freeze but it did not happen again. I hope to see a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: administrator-P35-DS3L Kernel: 3.2.0-26-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: P35-DS3L version: x.x Bios: Award version: F9 date: 06/19/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6550 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 2000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1680x1050@53.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.49
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1d:7d:95:6f:41
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (3.1% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD3200AAKS 320.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 100G used: 9.2G (10%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0C mobo: 31.0C gpu: 57C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 949 fan-2: 724 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 1231 
Info:      Processes: 129 Uptime: 54 min Memory: 309.2/2012.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
Pat
al3xsh

Post by al3xsh »

Switching to the 64 bit version seems to have fixed the issue for me. I tried updating via the nightly ppa, but just lost all windows decorations, etc.

Alex

Return to “Beginner Questions”