[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by kmb42vt »

YellowL wrote:While it works, this update also seems to have dropped/lost gnome-session-cinnamon2d. Is that intentional or will we get that back later?
If you were previously using the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA to update both cinnamon and muffin packages or had compiled the latest builds from git then you would have been running Cinnamon 1.5 which includes Cinnamon 2D. Following Clem's instructions would have brought you back to the original default Cinnamon 1.4 UP3 package, which does not yet have Cinnamon 2D included, along with the updated/fixed muffin packages. We should see the Cinnamon 2D shell included in the new Cinnamon 1.5 builds as they come through the "Romeo" repositories and this should happen sometime after the updated muffin packages are shifted from Romeo to the Main repositories. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Hi,

I've been following this thread for a few weeks, pleased to see that it looks to be fixed now. Can I just ask, once the fixed packages are put into the main repository will the required updates be put in place just by running apt-get update & upgrade? Or will it still involve some installing and compiling?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

iain_j wrote:Hi,

I've been following this thread for a few weeks, pleased to see that it looks to be fixed now. Can I just ask, once the fixed packages are put into the main repository will the required updates be put in place just by running apt-get update & upgrade? Or will it still involve some installing and compiling?
No compiling needed. Once these updated packages are placed in the main repositories they're installed just like any other update is. you can use the terminal as you described but once available, these updated packages will show up in MintUpdate via the tray icon as well and you can update from there.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

What's the ETA for these fixes showing up in Mint Update?
hellkiller

Post by hellkiller »

I installed the updates via romeo repo. Since then no freezing. Thanks all :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

OK, thanks everybody for your help on this issue.

The packages are now in the main repositories for everyone to enjoy.

If you enabled Romeo to participate in this test it is recommended you now disable it, unless of course you're interested in playing with whatever unstable packages we might put in there in the future (Cinnamon 1.5 will go there for instance before 1.6 is out).
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Thank you! Thank you!
kmb42vt wrote:
If you manually install the "noopt" packages and later on updates for cinnamon and muffin come in via the Mint repos, these updates should automatically overwrite the existing "noopt" versions you installed earlier.
Appears to be not the case here. Have to use Force Version to Maya to overwrite the noopt version.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

palo wrote:Thank you! Thank you!
kmb42vt wrote:
If you manually install the "noopt" packages and later on updates for cinnamon and muffin come in via the Mint repos, these updates should automatically overwrite the existing "noopt" versions you installed earlier.
Appears to be not the case here. Have to use Force Version to Maya to overwrite the noopt version.
Right now, yes. But that's only because the Maya version is the same version that you manually installed (without the options of course) so the system won't see it as an update. :D
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

This fix seems to be working on the laptop.
Thanks zerozero for pointing me to this thead.
Thanks Clem for the fix.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

Thank you one (Clem), thank you all (team Mint)!

In a short period of time this went from incredibly frustrating and un-useful to fantastic.

My best to you all.
Clinton
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

clem wrote:OK, thanks everybody for your help on this issue.

The packages are now in the main repositories for everyone to enjoy.

If you enabled Romeo to participate in this test it is recommended you now disable it, unless of course you're interested in playing with whatever unstable packages we might put in there in the future (Cinnamon 1.5 will go there for instance before 1.6 is out).
Disable it? Hah! Never! After running the Cinnamon/muffin nightly builds via the "cinnamon-nightly" PPA (in between working with the freezing bug) without a single problem yet I'm just waiting for these "unstable" 1.5 builds to show up in Romeo. Just give me something to break. :D
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

kmb42vt wrote:Just give me something to break. :D
So you want something to break. Hmmm... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I'm very close to finish the implementation of a "blurred backgrounds" effect for Cinnamon panel, applets, menu, popups, etc. That makes those highly transparent Cinnamon themes look a lot better.
Check this:
Give me a couple of days to speed up the blur algorithm a little (I'm horrible coding in C) and I'll give you something to compile and break... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Hey! Awesome esteban!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I wants it :P But we're going a bit off topic now. Perhaps we should have a "Cinnamon coders show-off" topic somewhere? Like in the Desktop Screenshots secton of the forum. I wouldn't mind seeing something as awesome as what esteban1uy is working on from time to time, sort of as a spoiler of what is brewing.
gorellana09

Post by gorellana09 »

Hello guys I am glad to hear that cinnamon is now fixed in the regular repos correct? If so I would like to try it. I am currently using the nightly ppa, would some kind soul tell me how to revert back to the regular repo correctly. I am still a noob and I will surely break something if I don't follow correct instructions :D thanks in advance.
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

To revert back, just remove the launchpad section from /etc/apt/preferences file that you added earlier. (You can also remove the ppa if you really want to, but you don't have to.)

Then run an update, and it'll be back to stable :)
gorellana09

Post by gorellana09 »

A Future Pilot wrote:To revert back, just remove the launchpad section from /etc/apt/preferences file that you added earlier. (You can also remove the ppa if you really want to, but you don't have to.)

Then run an update, and it'll be back to stable :)
Thanks! :)
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

You're welcome!

Also...
esteban1uy wrote:
I'm very close to finish the implementation of a "blurred backgrounds" effect for Cinnamon panel, applets, menu, popups, etc. That makes those highly transparent Cinnamon themes look a lot better.
Check this:
Give me a couple of days to speed up the blur algorithm a little (I'm horrible coding in C) and I'll give you something to compile and break... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Do WANT!!!! :)
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

much thanks to everyone that had a hand in fixing the screen freezing problem. Just reinstalled mint 13 and everything is smooth sailing. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote:
Check this:
I'm ready and waiting. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”