[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tsidock

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by tsidock »

I have run 13RC for a week and the as soon as the official release came out I installed it on 3 machine without and daily issues. Since the last update they are starting to get this same issue - Screen locks up, cursor is active, ctrl-alt-bkspc breaks out. This is happening every few minutes now. Most often with FireFox and Libre-Writer, Older HP Pavillion dual core 4GB, no advance drivers installed for nVidia. 1st install on this machine stopped booting with advanced drivers.

Let's hope this gets the attention it deserves, as I feel this OS may well be the turning point for Linux and especially Mint.

Love the Idea of LMDE, hopefully this is the future of Mint.(I have this running on a test Hard drive.)

One last thing, not having any trouble with Cinnamon on Linux 12!

Tom
Last edited by tsidock on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon *** Resolved ***

Post by grndplane »

I am running the following:
Mother Board : MSI Computer Corp. Z77MA-G45
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Memory: Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3
SSD: OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch
DVD: Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B

and I am also experiencing random freezing when I click on links in Chrome. Help.

-Mike trying to run Maya Cinnamon

*** Found solution for me: Enable Romeo Repo and install 3.4 Liquorix kernel and header, then turn Romeo repo back off. Reboot and enjoy a stable computer that doesn't freeze every
10nth mouse click. ***
Last edited by grndplane on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
cwsutherland

Post by cwsutherland »

Hello,

I also took the jump yesterday to Mint 13 Cinnamon, after several stable years with 10.04 and ubuntu.

I have a Lenovo Y560p, and although I don't get freezes, I have the dreaded kworker process, consuming 32% of one CPU continuously, which as a result slows everything else down.

I hope there is a kernel update soon, as I would like to stay with Mint 13 if possible.
LD5000

Post by LD5000 »

Mint 13 Cinnamon here too and endless hangs. Mouse moves but screen is frozen. Really anoying as I have just taken the full Linux plunge on my laptop and am wondering if I should have waited?

I would also like to know if there are any better workarounds than re-installing a kernel that was deemed stable with another that is at present considered unstable? Sounds a bit too iffy to me.
gillmt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gillmt »

Here we go yet again - the last three times I have been scrolling through a Libre Office document

3 19:04:41 gill-desktop gnome-session[3377]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jun 3 19:04:41 gill-desktop mdm[3345]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

If this is not the right place to get help, where (and how) should everyone having this problem, report it please?
I am not using proprietory drivers.
BeatSmith

Post by BeatSmith »

I can also confirm this bug, seems to happen a lot with Firefox but it happened once with Clementine. Also, it mostly happen when I try to open a new tab or choose an option from the "Menu Bar". Same symptoms; screen freeze with mouse active. Mostly, it will accept a ctrl+alt+backspace but sometimes it doesn't and I'll have to make a hard reboot.

I'll post a syslog if it happens again.

Also, would someone be kind enough to post this bug here? https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint I don't have much of knowledge with linux in general :( . May be that will get the bug more attention?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Are any of you using some kind or automatic wallpaper changer, as wallch, wally, or a wallpaper slideshow, or non-default screensaver, or something like that?
Or anything, a software or a service that has access to the image you use as wallpaper, or the folder where that image resides?
I have the strong suspicion that some freezes are the result of certain conflict with the way Cinnamon manages desktop background images.

If you have any of those mentioned applications, please disable them for a while and see what happens.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Question:

Do any of you happen to using the proprietary Nvidia driver on their rigs that keep freezing up? I don't have a problem with the system freezing up but I do have a problem with MDM crashing after 1 to 2 seconds after the login screen appearing. Just wondering.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
clatworthy

Post by clatworthy »

Hi kmb42vt,
I am involved in a similar thread - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103726 - and two of us have NVIDIA but the other has an AMD video card. Worth trying to use the standard one I guess, but the NVIDIA driver is maked as tested by Linux Mint developers so presumably this is not the fault. I am checking both of these threads in the hope that a suggestion is found in one of them. Cheers.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Cinnamon on Mint 13 Maya
Computer specs below. I've had numerous lock ups / freeze ups. I've always been able to ctrl-alt-backspace out but have obviously lost any unsaved data that I was working on. This appears to happen with either firefox or chrome open and Libre Office. It happened 4 times in a row to me so I installed Mate, booted into that, opened up the same programs ie... firefox, chrome and the same spreadsheet from Libre Office. I was able to complete my work with no freezing. Cinnamon is growing on me so I hope there's a fix found. I'm thinking it won't take too long as both Mint and Ubuntu appear to suffer the same.

Inspiron 1525N.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 2052MB (563MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 13 Maya
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
BeatSmith

Post by BeatSmith »

esteban1uy wrote:Are any of you using some kind or automatic wallpaper changer, as wallch, wally, or a wallpaper slideshow, or non-default screensaver, or something like that?
Or anything, a software or a service that has access to the image you use as wallpaper, or the folder where that image resides?
I have the strong suspicion that some freezes are the result of certain conflict with the way Cinnamon manages desktop background images.

If you have any of those mentioned applications, please disable them for a while and see what happens.
No, I don't use any of these applications ....
kmb42vt wrote:Question:

Do any of you happen to using the proprietary Nvidia driver on their rigs that keep freezing up? I don't have a problem with the system freezing up but I do have a problem with MDM crashing after 1 to 2 seconds after the login screen appearing. Just wondering.
Actually yes, I'm using the proprietary Nvidia driver (Version current). BTW, it doesn't freeze up in my case instantly after login. There must be something open to freeze up e.g. Firefox, Clementine or SMplayer ... etc
clatworthy

Post by clatworthy »

Okay, story so far, based on stuff from the web and various ubuntu/mint forums...

1) have amended LibreOffice so that in Tools>Options>View, the Graphics Output settings of "Use Hardware Acceleration" and "Use Anti-aliasing" are both de-selected.
DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE

2) Updated kernel from 2.6.38-11.47 (ie Maya default) to 3.2.0-24-generic, then to 3.3.6 (using http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to- ... a-ppa.html instructions)
DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE

Here's my test - guaranteed to crash the system. Open Writer (not Calc), add a table, insert text into the cells, Ctrl C and Ctrl V a few times and hey presto, all you can do is move your mouse/cursor around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that can be done.
GOOD NEWS - The recovery of Office is perfect.
BeatSmith

Post by BeatSmith »

clatworthy wrote:Okay, story so far, based on stuff from the web and various ubuntu/mint forums...

1) have amended LibreOffice so that in Tools>Options>View, the Graphics Output settings of "Use Hardware Acceleration" and "Use Anti-aliasing" are both de-selected.
DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE

2) Updated kernel from 2.6.38-11.47 (ie Maya default) to 3.2.0-24-generic, then to 3.3.6 (using http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to- ... a-ppa.html instructions)
DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE

Here's my test - guaranteed to crash the system. Open Writer (not Calc), add a table, insert text into the cells, Ctrl C and Ctrl V a few times and hey presto, all you can do is move your mouse/cursor around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that can be done.
I can confirm that duplicating these actions results in the freeze-up problem. Try it for yourselves! :D

Here're the results in syslog ... BTW I'm using the proprietary Nvidia driver (Version current).

Code: Select all

Jun  5 11:48:07 Soaring gnome-session[16073]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jun  5 11:48:07 Soaring mdm[16041]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Jun  5 11:48:07 Soaring kernel: [ 4784.505681] soffice.bin[16434]: segfault at a0e15788 ip 002a9f14 sp bfce0950 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[277000+19f000]
EDIT: The same thing occurs when using also the proprietary Nvidia driver (post-release updates) (version current updates)

Also, if you need to duplicate the bug by another way., install Jdownloader and try to run it after installing, system will freeze up before even before the pop-up logo is displayed!

syslog ...

Jun  5 12:08:35 Soaring gnome-session[1498]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jun  5 12:08:35 Soaring mdm[1190]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

I was not able to duplicate freeze up using the writer, table cut & paste. Have been happily ctrl C, ctrl V both within and outside the inserted table for about 10 min with no freeze ups. Also have Chromium, T-bird and spideroak uploader running. I did disable hardware acceleration and anti-aliasing in Libre Office.

Inspiron 1525N.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 2052MB (563MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 13 Maya
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

If you are in the mood to do some experiment, try this:
Open a terminal al execute the following code:

bash -c "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace &"
Now your Cinnamon will be using software rendering instead of hardware rendering (to return to the "normal" state just execute bash -c "cinnamon --replace &").
Any freezes with software rendering?

If there is no freeze while using that kind of rendering, then the problem is purely at graphics level (e.g. unsupported graphics card).
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

clatworthy wrote:Okay, story so far, based on stuff from the web and various ubuntu/mint forums...

DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE

DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE

I tried your copy and pasting in a table in Writer with no freezes yet. Haven't changed hardware acceleration or anti-aliasing at all. Of course, my problem is with MDM disappearing after 1 or 2 seconds, not with the system freezing up. As I said previously, I switched to LightDM (and also tried GDM) and I haven't had the problem since. I was just hoping to duplicate the freezing issue so I could help you folks troubleshoot the problem. No luck(?) so far. Perhaps I'll load Maya/Cinnamon on my old Thinkpad r61 which uses all Intel HD graphics and see what happens.

Intel Quad Core 2
8 GB DDR2
1.0 TB HDD
Nvidia GT 430 w/1.0 GB DDR3
(somewhat modified Gateway Desktop PC)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
jimakt

Post by jimakt »

same thing here...
my system is freezing while hovering on menus in liberoffice calc...
my dmesg is

191.088163] soffice.bin[2931]: segfault at ea1b399c ip ea1b399c sp bfab58ac error 5
[  191.237422] Xorg[1962]: segfault at 7c ip b7649cd5 sp bfdbffd0 error 4 in Xorg[b760b000+1f3000]
[  452.528106] soffice.bin[3642]: segfault at 2176f1f0 ip 2176f1f0 sp bf842c4c error 4 in libforuilo.so[a9c5b000+26000]
[  452.602787] Xorg[2994]: segfault at 7c ip b7593cd5 sp bfa27440 error 4 in Xorg[b7555000+1f3000]
I have tried all 3 steps above
LooseWingnut

Post by LooseWingnut »

Had the same exact issue. No sure fire reason I could tell. Happened once when I opened a second session of Chrome, again when I saved a doc in LibreOffice... Memory use has been fine... Same machine ran Ubuntu 12.04 without a hitch.

I noticed in Synaptic that the kernal and some x packages were marked as upgradeable. They were not marked in about three firings up of the update manager over the last four days. I upgraded the lot just now and will report back if the issue seems to have stopped. The kernal upgrades were simply to a version of 3.2 generic.
spottraining

Post by spottraining »

Hi

I have also the same problem. Cinnamon freezes and I can move only mouse. I can swith to other terminals. It is Cinnamon problem - as with Classic desktop - there is no problem with it. And I can wake up system only then, when I am killing cinnamon proccess. I have clean Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon installation on HP 2510p laptop.
clatworthy

Post by clatworthy »

I TRIED THIS SO YOU MUST NOT - IT LEFT ME WITH A COMPLETELY BUGGERED SYSTEM...
===========================================================================

Instructions from http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to- ... le-on.html

Linux Kernel 3.4.0 Installation (i386 & amd64)
Open the terminal and run this command to edit the "/etc/apt/sources.list file:
$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
At the end of the file, add the following lines:

# Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal Repositories
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu quantal-security main universe restricted multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu quantal-security main universe restricted multiverse
deb http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates main universe restricted multiverse
deb-src http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates main universe restricted multiverse
deb http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal main universe restricted multiverse
deb-src http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal main universe restricted multiverse

Then the following instructions on this page did not work. So, I opened Software Manager and manually selected the kernel, headers and tools (just in case) with the version 3.4.0-4.

3.4.0-4
=======
Rebooted into 3.4.0-4...

FIXED - Used OpenOffice Writer for 10 minutes (a record). Did all the tests in my previous entry over and over again, updated settings etc no crashes.
HOWEVER, screen looks naff, a vanilla Cinnamon (if you like the joke). NVIDIA not functioning and cannot be made to work. No network possible - wired or wireless. Software Manager wants to update 857 items but fails completely with "Could not resolve ‘it.archive.ubuntu.com’ " error for each item.

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4#head ... ca7729dffa has more information on this version of the kernel. It states "This release includes several Btrfs updates: support of metadata blocks bigger than 4KB, much improved metadata performance, better error handling and better recovery tools; there is also a new X32 ABI which allows to run programs in 64-bit mode with 32-bit pointers;several updates to the GPU drivers: early modesetting of Nvidia GeForce 600 'Kepler', support of AMD Radeon 7xxx and AMD Trinity APU series, and support of Intel Medfield graphics; there is also support of x86 CPU driver autoprobing, a device-mapper target that stores cryptographic hashes of blocks to check for intrusions, another target to use external read-only devices as origin source of a thin provisioned LVM volume, several perf improvements such as GTK2 report GUI and a new 'Yama' security module. There are also many small features and new drivers and fixes are also available. "

I added the bold part to highlight what might be the solution to why some of us are having problems. NVIDIA and AMD GPUs were both mentioned in the parallel thread to this one (see above).

Reboot...

====
Dropping back to 3.3.6 via GRUB. This is achieved by holding down the left Shift button during and after POST. I hold the button down until the GRUB menu appears. Not sure if this is correct but it works for my machine.

Using gedit to store this log in case you wondered which text editor was being used.

Back in 3.3.6 land - Screen and Internet functioning as normal. Phew!! going for the 857 updates (all 856MB worth - or about 2.5 times the size of the DVD to load Maya in my humble estimation).

Download & Install will take 60 mins (estimated). Not sure what I'll have after this. Answer - nothing utterly useless. I am now writing this from the log file I created in gedit via LM12. What a sorry mess this is. To make matters worse I cannot read any backup - probably permissions but even as root I cannot access the data.

Return to “Beginner Questions”