[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ddaniel

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

I also had this random freezes problem. I was trying to resolve this problem and user esteban1uy suggested me to try drivers from this ppa https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers I installed this on my system and I don't have any random freezes. I can't make my system running cinnamon to freeze again. I'm using libreoffice with java enabled, anti-aliasing and hardware acceleration. I can scroll my document as much as I wan't back and forth till fan goes nuts and my gpu temp rise up to 75 degrees. The only thing I changed beside installed packages from this ppa was I created xorg.conf to be able to do some testing and I removed radeon driver from my blacklisted modules. And running 3.4.0 kernel, but I run it before when I had this gui freezing.
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

ddaniel wrote:I also had this random freezes problem. I was trying to resolve this problem and user esteban1uy suggested me to try drivers from this ppa https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers I installed this on my system and I don't have any random freezes. I can't make my system running cinnamon to freeze again. I'm using libreoffice with java enabled, anti-aliasing and hardware acceleration. I can scroll my document as much as I wan't back and forth till fan goes nuts and my gpu temp rise up to 75 degrees. The only thing I changed beside installed packages from this ppa was I created xorg.conf to be able to do some testing and I removed radeon driver from my blacklisted modules. And running 3.4.0 kernel, but I run it before when I had this gui freezing.
That's good news if it works for everyone.I can't say when I'll get a chance to try this (because I have scrubbed my Cinnamon install to try the MATE one, I'll need to restore from my backup, after updating my MATE backup) and I don't think I really understand what I need to do to install these alternative drivers. Am I right in thinking that if I do

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
it will replace the default (non proprietary one) wth this one ?

And I need to make sure I 'Remove' the proprietary drivers in the Additional Drivers dialog ?
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

MSeries wrote:
ddaniel wrote:I also had this random freezes problem. I was trying to resolve this problem and user esteban1uy suggested me to try drivers from this ppa https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers I installed this on my system and I don't have any random freezes. I can't make my system running cinnamon to freeze again. I'm using libreoffice with java enabled, anti-aliasing and hardware acceleration. I can scroll my document as much as I wan't back and forth till fan goes nuts and my gpu temp rise up to 75 degrees. The only thing I changed beside installed packages from this ppa was I created xorg.conf to be able to do some testing and I removed radeon driver from my blacklisted modules. And running 3.4.0 kernel, but I run it before when I had this gui freezing.
That's good news if it works for everyone.I can't say when I'll get a chance to try this (because I have scrubbed my Cinnamon install to try the MATE one, I'll need to restore from my backup, after updating my MATE backup) and I don't think I really understand what I need to do to install these alternative drivers. Am I right in thinking that if I do

sudo apt-get update

And I need to make sure I 'Remove' the proprietary drivers in the Additional Drivers dialog ?
There seem to be quite a few variants of the system freezing, which are probably completely unrelated. Hopefully the above will help those out with multiple graphic cards. But check the gnome-system-log. For those with the "mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0" line it might be worth checking if the error only happens when using external mouse (or other external devices).
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

NOT using my external mouse isn't a good solution for me I'm afraid.
ddaniel

Post by ddaniel »

mojosmail2003 wrote: There seem to be quite a few variants of the system freezing, which are probably completely unrelated. Hopefully the above will help those out with multiple graphic cards. But check the gnome-system-log. For those with the "mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0" line it might be worth checking if the error only happens when using external mouse (or other external devices).
I had the same message. As suggested that this might be related to mdm I removed mdm and installed lightdm but the problem was the same.I never tried to reproduce freezing without a mouse. :(
Last edited by ddaniel on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

I had no more freezes after reconfiguring MDM and doing an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade. I've been working for about 4 hours with hevay writer libreoffice files, and it's ok. Before, cinnamon freezed with just open a new file.
So I returned from gnome fallback to cinnamon. :D
ddaniel

Post by ddaniel »

MSeries wrote: That's good news if it works for everyone.I can't say when I'll get a chance to try this (because I have scrubbed my Cinnamon install to try the MATE one, I'll need to restore from my backup, after updating my MATE backup) and I don't think I really understand what I need to do to install these alternative drivers. Am I right in thinking that if I do

sudo apt-get update

Yes, this will replace open source drivers not proprietary one.
I added this ppa, update and didn't do dist-upgrade. I upgraded packages that was suggested to me by synaptic and installed intel and radeon xorg drivers. As I used xorg-edggers I had some unmet dependencies but I successively resolved them.
Penurious Penguin

Post by Penurious Penguin »

mojosmail2003 wrote:"There seem to be quite a few variants of the system freezing, which are probably completely unrelated. Hopefully the above will help those out with multiple graphic cards. But check the gnome-system-log. For those with the "mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0" line it might be worth checking if the error only happens when using external mouse (or other external devices).
Which ones should we exclude? The original?

Also, a note to intermediate and novice Linux users: If you depend on your system remaining functional, don't be too hasty with these suggestions until some feedback has been given.

I also seriously doubt that credit for this particular plague is due to mice; I, for one, have a laptop. Furthermore, to all who come back 5 minutes after trying something, to boast of success; my system is on nearly 24/7 yet crashes on average once per day, but sometimes more. I do not think "4 hours" is sufficient to claim victory.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

You guys are doing great at troubleshooting this. The cause of the problem isn't precise enough for us to fix anything yet, but we're working on Cinnamon at the moment and we might have some good news. Although the latest Cinnamon (pre-1.5) isn't ready to be packaged and released into Mint, it already is working and it features many of the changes from Gnome Shell 3.4.

I'm not suggesting you all go and compile it, but maybe some of you can do it and provide debs to others, or at the very least give it a try and see if it fixes things. I wrote a quick tutorial to show how to compile the latest muffin/cinnamon in Linux Mint 13: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

At the moment if you compile muffin and cinnamon from their "master" branch (i.e. if you follow the tutorial without specifying any branch) you'll end up with a muffin pre-1.0.4 (which calls itself 1.0.4) and a cinnamon pre-1.5 (which calls itself 1.4-UP3).
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

clem wrote:Hi,

You guys are doing great at troubleshooting this. The cause of the problem isn't precise enough for us to fix anything yet, but we're working on Cinnamon at the moment and we might have some good news. Although the latest Cinnamon (pre-1.5) isn't ready to be packaged and released into Mint, it already is working and it features many of the changes from Gnome Shell 3.4.

I'm not suggesting you all go and compile it, but maybe some of you can do it and provide debs to others, or at the very least give it a try and see if it fixes things. I wrote a quick tutorial to show how to compile the latest muffin/cinnamon in Linux Mint 13: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

At the moment if you compile muffin and cinnamon from their "master" branch (i.e. if you follow the tutorial without specifying any branch) you'll end up with a muffin pre-1.0.4 (which calls itself 1.0.4) and a cinnamon pre-1.5 (which calls itself 1.4-UP3).
Thanks Clem :-) This fixes my problem !! (freeze with the message: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0). Before using the 1.4-UP3 I could consistenly crash the system with heavy mouse scroiling in libreoffice calc within 30 seconds. After updating I have not been able to make it crash after 5 minutes of heavy scrolling. A few comments on the compiling. The description is great, just followed it line by line. Note a the Muffin instruction "To install these, you can use "dpkg -i" in the terminal. Assuming there are no other debs in the directory, you could type "sudo dpkg -i *.deb"." you first need to navigate back to you homedir (cd ..) where the deb-packages are. To run the ./autogen.sh I first had to do a "sudo apt-get gnome-common", other than that no problems.
I will keep you updated as to whether I have any new freezes.
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

mojosmail2003 wrote:

Thanks Clem :-) This fixes my problem !! (freeze with the message: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0). Before using the 1.4-UP3 I could consistenly crash the system with heavy mouse scroiling in libreoffice calc within 30 seconds. After updating I have not been able to make it crash after 5 minutes of heavy scrolling. A few comments on the compiling. The description is great, just followed it line by line. Note a the Muffin instruction "To install these, you can use "dpkg -i" in the terminal. Assuming there are no other debs in the directory, you could type "sudo dpkg -i *.deb"." you first need to navigate back to you homedir (cd ..) where the deb-packages are. To run the ./autogen.sh I first had to do a "sudo apt-get gnome-common", other than that no problems.
I will keep you updated as to whether I have any new freezes.
Tried uploading the deb-files, but does not seem to be allowed on this forum (nor after renaming, the biggest file of 1.6 MB exceed the forum limit ). Following the tutorial to compile the deb-files doesn't take more than 10-20 minutes. If you send me an email at mojosmail2003[at]gmail.com I can forward the files to you (this evening GMT). Would it just be the cinnamon_1.4-UP3_i386.deb that people need to get hold of ?
Last edited by mojosmail2003 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

It would be nice if the .debs can be made available, maybe on Google docs somehow ?
Pyrosopher

Post by Pyrosopher »

I get the LibreOffice crash using an external mouse when scrolling quickly. Using a Samsung R520 laptop with intel graphics.

Additional:
The updated graphics drivers above seem to have fixed this issue for me.

Additional additional:
The scroll crash seems to have been fixed, but I just has another crash while using the File, Edit... menus in LibreOffice. I'm going to have to look at changing distro if it happens again, I need to be able to get work done without feeling I'm playing Russian Roulette each time I click a menu.

I can deal with a bug here and there, but this is a critical stability issue for me.
Last edited by Pyrosopher on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Myrmidon83

Post by Myrmidon83 »

You guys are doing great at troubleshooting this. The cause of the problem isn't precise enough for us to fix anything yet, but we're working on Cinnamon at the moment and we might have some good news.
What about the MATE users having a similar problem?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Myrmidon83 wrote:What about the MATE users having a similar problem?
Please create a new topic if you have problems with MATE. This topic covers Cinnamon, and IIRC some users have tested their issues on Cinnamon also on MATE and were not able to reproduce them. You may have similar symptoms, but not necessarily the same root cause.
Votritis

Post by Votritis »

Myrmidon83 wrote:
What about the MATE users having a similar problem?

no, i install MATE edition in another partition and i don't have freezing problem ,for me it's only at Cinnamon edition.

Pentium M 1,73Ghz
1,5Gib Ram
Intel 915GM Graphics
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

MSeries wrote:It would be nice if the .debs can be made available, maybe on Google docs somehow ?
It's very easy now that Google Drive has been released. Just log into your Google account from the Google Search page and you should see a new menu entry in the top bar called "Drive". If you haven't set it up already, do so (it's simple). Once set up, you can actually drag and drop any files into the Drive's upload box and it will upload them into Google Drive. Once that's done, make each of the files "public". Now you can just paste the links to each file in the forum and others can download them.

With that said, I'll be happy to host the .debs on my Google Drive if anyone wishes to package them. Just contact me via a PM and I'll give you one of my email addresses.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Careful when installing cinnamon debs built by other people... make sure it doesn't come with nvidia or ati dependencies...
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

The easiest (IMO) way of using the latest stable Cinnamon without having to install .deb files or anything is this:

Add the Cinnamon Stable PPA to your system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
Then give it a higher pin priority so that apt will choose the PPA instead of the Mint repos by adding the following lines to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700
Then run mint update and logout and you should have the latest stable cinnamon build.
DrossTheBoss

Post by DrossTheBoss »

User ''neologist'' give THIS SOLUTION in page 3.My mint 13 cinnamon was freeze when i open Jdownloader,but no more.TRY IT.

Return to “Beginner Questions”