will not shut off

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

will not shut off

Post by ti479 »

hello,

can anyone tell me how to get my laptop to shut down? i have a fresh install of mint 4.0 and now when i try to use the shut down option from the menu my machine acts like it will power off (going through splash screen) and i am left with a hanging cursor on a black screen. i tried editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst and adding apm=off and acpi=forced to the end options and it will work for a few times and go back to not turning off again. i really like mint and i have finally found a solution for that pesky automatic screen dimming problem i had. reading through other posts here it appears i am not the only one with this issue, but i havent found a consistent solution. please help all of us newbies out.

thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: will not shut off

Post by Husse »

At the moment I don't have a good answer.
This seems to be limited to laptops and I thought it was solved for the others with this problem
Something happened when you submitted this post and it duplicated. I'll delete the other posts

Return to “Beginner Questions”