"could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acron1

Re: "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutd

Post by acron1 »

I have the same issue with broken pipe upon shutdown with no apparent problems... curious for a solution though...
MR-X

Post by MR-X »

The updates like a month ago seemed to have fixed the issue for me, It has been shutting down normal for like a month now :D
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

MR-X,
Do you mean to say that you don't see the "Could not write bytes: Broken Pipe" message anymore?
ink_inc

Post by ink_inc »

I'm running Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon and I have the same problem, where TTY7 has the "Could not write bytes" message, and the actual display manager is running on TTY8. I've also noticed that whenever I restart the display manager (which I used to do a lot whenever I switched to TTY1 and couldn't figure how to get back to my windows), the display manager is started on TTY7, and TTY8 is left blank.
marko_s

Post by marko_s »

Hmmm. Now when I think of it, I haven't seen this "broken pipe" message lately (at least it doesn't appear every time I boot or shut down the computer).

Maybe some update actually fixed it? :wink:
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

I'm getting the same problem too. LM 12 was fine. Happens on my 2 HP laptops. But, my system still shuts down. Hopefully it continues to shutdown.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

andrewdonshik note on how to fix it seems to work. Just go to Package Manager and fix broken packages.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

Message came back today after Fixing broken packages in Package Manager.

I was looking at the post about Plymouth. Is that a critical package? Can I remove it to see if that fixes the error message?
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

I get this message at boot but it don't seem to have any adverse affect on the performance of my machine....
andyf

Post by andyf »

Yes, it's another 'me too!', only with a bonus...

I see the message at shutdown for about a second before (from memory) the modem manager catches message 15 and shuts down. I'm going to leave it alone because I'm not seeing any ill-effects.

In other respects Mint13 (Maya 32bit) seems pretty good although I'm a bit surprised at how many updates had to be installed (over 300 as of yesteday).

Here's the bonus:
For anybody still being plagued by unwanted screensaver blank screen after ten idle minutes when the screensaver is disabled the cure is

Code: Select all

xset s 0 0
in a terminal window.

To make it permanent you need to go to Control Centre>Startup Applications - then click +Add and put the above code in the command box. Give the command a name and comment then finally click +Add.

You can put whatever you like in the name/comment boxes but essentially you are disabling the x-server screensaver so it might be a good idea to mention that in the 'Name' or 'Comment' box.

Once you have that set up it will execute the command every time you start your machine,
c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

This problem is still persistent.
puigpuig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puigpuig »

For me too, I have the same "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" at shutdown, and after 1 second it stops suddently.

It is with a Linux Mint 13 Maya just installed.

Any suggestion to solve this?
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

This is also happening to me too although it is not causing problem i try to ignore it. Also whats even stranger for me is that when the message comes it seems to shut down a bit faster than when it doesn't come up. It just appears at shutdown most of the time but sometimes it doesn't.Maybe an update will come out and fix the problem or rather bug. But for now I would just ignore it.
c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

I also have this and it makes me nervous since newbie users would probably think there is something wrong although it isn't. Please fix it.
redeemed

Post by redeemed »

Running Mint 13 Cinnamon on dual boot with XP. Motherboard is Gigabyte M68M-S2P (Nvidia chip sets)
Started with "Cannot write bytes, Broken Pipe" message at shutdown. Performed steps below:
1. Boot into recovery mode
2. Repair broken packages
3. Hit the continue boot button
4. Log in to the desktop
5. Reboot
6. Log in normally

Still shows message at shutdown, and now shows same at startup in larger letters. None of the log files mentions broken pipes. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, other than maybe adding delays to boot startup and sgutdown, so will follow and see what happens.
pc49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pc49 »

I have the same "broken pipe " issue and it shows up on Maya Mate,Ubuntu 12.04 and Mageia .
Mageia and Maya hang quite often which requires restarts which are very inconvenient.
I lack the expertise to tackle this so I'm reverting to Isadora which did not fail and hope that Nadia has no such problems in November
muzzie

Post by muzzie »

Hi

I'am getting the same thing as well is it anything to get worried about and should I try and fix it.
Don`t think its affecting anything that I can see.
I'am new to all this is it just a bug in the system, it was a new mint 13 mate instilation 2 day's ago so I have still got my windows head on.

Many thanks
NoDude

Post by NoDude »

Me too. I'm using XFCE version. I'm forced to hold my power button to be able to turn off my laptop often.
AvanOsch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AvanOsch »

Hi all,

I SEEM to have found a solution...
(As there have been some before, I won't get too excited... :wink: )

It seems to be a problem with both LightDisplayManager and MintDisplayManager (LightDM and MDM)

The following seemed to fix it:
1) Open Terminal, and go root
2) Run the following code: (Replace mdm with lightdm if you use LightDM)

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure mdm
3) Reboot (And see the "Broken pipe" message for the last time)
4) At this time the message was gone, but the Mint desktop did not load properly the first boot (Don't know if y'all will get this too)
5) Rebooted again, after which the desktop loaded properly too...

This seemed to fix it for me...
rez

Post by rez »

I am getting the same message but not during shutdown...

I installed Mint 13 Maya because my windows 7 crashed. Configured a dual boot and am using Mint now(very new to it). Downloaded BitDefender for Linux to scan the windows partition for viruses and about 10 minutes into the scan the computer shuts down automatically and I get the could not write bytes message. This does not happen with any other program or if I use BitDefender to scan the Linux File system.

This is a pretty frustrating problem for me as I really need to do a thorough scan of my windows files. I want to use both OS going forward because I am not yet comfortable enough with Mint to use it alone. Can someone please shed some light on this issue and what I can do to complete the scan?

Appreciate any help you guys can provide

Return to “Beginner Questions”