Cannot run from disk

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cannot run from disk

Postby gorsefore on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 am

I am very new to Linux having only ever used Puppy

I would like to try Mint on an on old HP Compaq Armada M700

I downloaded the Main edition of Mint 4.0 Daryna and burnt a CD with ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/ - which is the software I burnt my (successful) Puppy disk with. It checked the disk after burning and said it was OK

The disk boots and I choose to run from disk - the screen carries lots of installation details, I get a short piece of music but then the disk just races and I never get to a desktop. I assume it should have appeared before 20 minutes!

I tried the disk on a Dell Laptop - same problem

I figured the download was corrupt so made a second download from a different mirror and burnt a new disk

Same problem on both computers and on my Dell Dimension 5150 dektop which just froze at the Mint logo having started installing. So the problem cannot be with the computers

I cannot believe that two downloads from different sources are both faulty. Am I downloading the wrong version?

Am I using the wrong software to burn the disk? Do I need some additional/different software?

Any help most welcome
gorsefore
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot run from disk

Postby gorsefore on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 am

I have tried running in safe graphics mode but then everything stops with a black screen and the disk is silent instead of racing
gorsefore
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 pm

1. Check ISO md5sum before burning it, in Windows use WinMD5sum from NullRiver, in Linux use a terminal and md5sum filename.iso. Compare it to the one at the download page.
2. Burn at slow speeds, 4x, just to be sure.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby timmyflight on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:38 pm

What are the hardware specs for the computers you used?
Mint needs quite a bit of ram to install/run decently.
I would recommend a minimum of 512 mb. ram.
Some people have had successful intalls with less, like maybe 320-384 mb,
but sometimes they run into problems.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house
Acts 16:31
timmyflight
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:45 pm

timmyflight wrote:What are the hardware specs for the computers you used?
Mint needs quite a bit of ram to install/run decently.
I would recommend a minimum of 512 mb. ram.
Some people have had successful intalls with less, like maybe 320-384 mb,
but sometimes they run into problems.

Absolute minimum is 256, but it's pretty unstable. That is why I want an alternate install CD...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby gorsefore on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for these

My Compaq Armada has a Pentium III processor 600 M Hz
but only 128 mb Ram 11479 MB on the hard drive. So I guess that isn't going to work

I have now managed to run Mint on my desktop via safe graphics mode and like what I see. But for the moment I'm really looking to breathe some life into the old laptop

Any suggestions for a version of Linux apart from Puppy that will run on my old computer?

I'm sorry but I don't understand the suggestion of "Check ISO md5sum" I looked at the Null River site but felt very out of my depth - is there a tutorial anywhere? I did by chance burn very slowly

Thanks again
gorsefore
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clemenzina on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:13 pm

I am even newer than you, gorsefore, and have downloaded the Instructions and found this re md5sum:

= = = = =

If you happen to run Windows, chances are you don’t have md5sum installed. You can
get it from here: http://www.etree.org/md5com.html

Place the ISO file and the md5sum.exe in the same place (let’s say in C:\) and run
“cmd.exe”. In the command line environment, type the following commands:

C:

cd \

md5sum LinuxMint-4.0.iso

Then compare the signature to the one present on the website.

= = = = =

I didn't even know that 'cd' stood for Change Directory :roll: Got there in the end via:

In Windows Explorer, copied md5sum.exe and the LinuxMint download into C: root directory. Then (the bold characters are what I actually typed) Start/Run/cmd.exe:

C:\>DocumentsandSettings>cd\

C:\>md5sum LinuxMint-4.0.iso

Waited and waited, then got ad399a6bd452ee88f7464bb5259c417e *LinuxMint-4.0.iso...

but there aren't any signature numbers on the Mint download page, not that I can see :(

I burnt the CD at x4, it displays nicely so I wouldn't have thought it was corrupted.

clemenzina
clemenzina
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 pm

gorsefore,

I hate to say this but with 128MB of ram you are just spinning your wheels. Running Mint with any satisfaction just isn't going to happen. Sorry.

If you don't like Puppy Linux I would suggest DSL Linux. It is the better choice to install to a hard drive.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions