LAN setup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LAN setup

Postby NumNuts on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:09 pm

Hello Mintland, anybody know of a good step by step idiot guide to setting up a LAN with mint or linux in general.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LAN setup

Postby Fornhamfred on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:01 am

Hello NumNuts

Welcome to Mint.

Could you please give more information on what you are trying to achieve and what your setup is.

Fred
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby BAD on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:43 am

Don't mind Fred he is having a bad week

1st off set up the security in the router. You did not ask how. I will assume you do not know how. This can be done wired or wireless. Wireless would be like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time. wired is easier.

2. 1.Click the network icon 2. click manual config 3. login 4. click and highlight wireless 5. click properties 6. enter the info from your box also click auto DHCP 7. close properties 8. check the box in wireless 7. wait a few seconds the network will configure 8. sometimes it is finicky work with it until your network is connected. Don't forget to set your firewall to let the wireless card get through again you did not ask how. I will assume you did not set up a firewall at least your router should have one.

Tomorrow I am sure I will see how do I set up the security in the router. There should be 6 or 7 steps check your routers manufacturers web site for support also your router will have help info. You do not need to ask here all this info is online you need to research it like the rest of us. Just remember at least 6 or 7 steps once you do this feel free to ask if you did it right and Fred will give you better information than I
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby BAD on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:58 am

I know I sound rude and Fred sounds even worse but we want to make sure you think about what you are doing and have a better understanding of what is required. You know the old saying the fun is in the adventure of doing it yourself.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions