Application menu on mouse right button?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Application menu on mouse right button?

Postby ChrisP on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:08 pm

Other distros do this. Can't I put the Application menu on the right mouse button? I've put it on the Panel... Do I need to find/write a script to do this?

And not have to double click on desktop icons?

Hungry for familiarity...

Chris
ChrisP
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Application menu on mouse right button?

Postby clem on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 am

Well that's more of a desktop thing. For instance that's what Fluxbox does... Gnome and KDE are more enclined to show context menus for a mouse right click event. You might be able to change their behaviour (I'm not sure), but if you like that kind of thing you're probably better off with a different desktop (Fluxbox and most lightweight desktops show applications in context to save the need for a panel).

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Slocker on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:11 am

Another solution in Mint is to press Alt+F1 and the application menu pops-up where the mouse pointer is.
Alex Slocker
Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ChrisP on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks for those.

I'm dismayed that it is seemingly hardcoded in the Window Manager. It is surely not a difficult thing to write code to allow the tacking of alternative events to a mouse's key-click when mapping other outputs to keyboard keys is done often enough.

Is this what folk mean when they rile against Gnome as being insufficiently configurable?

I didn't know about Alt+F1. A right-click is sometimes what I want, though!
ChrisP
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions