Application menu on mouse right button?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisP

Application menu on mouse right button?

Post by ChrisP »

Other distros do this. Can't I put the Application menu on the right mouse button? I've put it on the Panel... Do I need to find/write a script to do this?

And not have to double click on desktop icons?

Hungry for familiarity...

Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Application menu on mouse right button?

Post by clem »

Well that's more of a desktop thing. For instance that's what Fluxbox does... Gnome and KDE are more enclined to show context menus for a mouse right click event. You might be able to change their behaviour (I'm not sure), but if you like that kind of thing you're probably better off with a different desktop (Fluxbox and most lightweight desktops show applications in context to save the need for a panel).

Clem
ChrisP

Re: Application menu on mouse right button?

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks for those.

I'm dismayed that it is seemingly hardcoded in the Window Manager. It is surely not a difficult thing to write code to allow the tacking of alternative events to a mouse's key-click when mapping other outputs to keyboard keys is done often enough.

Is this what folk mean when they rile against Gnome as being insufficiently configurable?

I didn't know about Alt+F1. A right-click is sometimes what I want, though!

Return to “Beginner Questions”