[Solved] Problem with a .tar.gz

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Problem with a .tar.gz

Postby Ifflejink on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:12 pm

So, I was just trying to install Regnum Online using a .tar.gz. I looked up instructions on how to do this, extracted the .tar.gz, and tried to use ./configure, but when I run the command it says "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory," and when I try to use make it says "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." Can anyone give me a hand with this?
Last edited by Ifflejink on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifflejink
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with a .tar.gz

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:40 am

You are not in the right folder when you do it
Can't say more than that not knowing "the looks of things"
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ifflejink on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:41 pm

That's the thing, though- the file is saved in a folder called RO Online, and I'm doing all this by right clicking inside the folder and clicking "open in terminal." I know it sees the files, since it lists rolauncher and rolauncher.tar.gz when I use the ls command.
Ifflejink
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zarius on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Howdy,

The problem is that the rolauncher program isn't meant to be run that way. ".configure" & "make" are used for programs that need building before you can run them (source-code) - you can tell if it's one of these by looking for files such as "configure" and "Makefile".

The rolauncher program is already a binary file and can be run directly (just like a .exe file under windows) by either double-clicking it in the file-browser or typing "./rolauncher" in it's directly from a terminal. (often these 'exe'cutable files are coloured green when you type ls in the terminal).

** Unfortunately the current rolauncher file seems broken and doesn't run properly - I checked the RO forums (this post) a fix for it is to type "MALLOC_CHECK_=0 ./rolauncher" into the terminal instead - this loaded up the launcher program for me (under Linux Mint 4.0).
Zarius
LinuxMint 4.0 - Intel E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, ATI X1950XTX, 4GB ram, 400GB WD hdd, Phillips 170B LCD
Zarius
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ifflejink on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Ah, ok. That worked. Just had to set the malloc check to 1 instead of 0. Thanks!
Ifflejink
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions