installed lmms, but doesnt show anywhwere !solved!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

installed lmms, but doesnt show anywhwere !solved!

Postby booomups on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Hello Dear Newby helper

I am using the 4.0 main Edition and installed LMMS (http://lmms.sourceforge.net/) using Package Manager, but after that I cannot find the program in the Start menu or using search in the filebrowser.

I am pretty new to linux but so far Mint has been very easy to use and configured everything automatically. I also successfully installed other apps using mint install and the other packet manager.

Any Ideas or recommendations on what to try?
Last edited by booomups on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booomups
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: inst. lmms (without error message), but doesnt show anywhwer

Postby MagnusB on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Not knowing anything about LMMS, have you tried:
Code: Select all
sudo updatedb
locate lmms

Alternatively:
Code: Select all
whereis lmms

If the last one returns anything but "lmms:", you should try launching it with that.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby booomups on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:33 pm

thank you

"locate lmms" gave me the direction to /usr/bin and not /bin where I was looking for it before, well... newbyforum ;-)

but the Search option in the file browser still doesnt seem to be giving me any results for any kind of search and also no progress indicator...

well, got the terminal commands now
booomups
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zarius on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:32 am

Howdy,

Another way to find out what to run might be to look in the package's file listing. I'm not sure how to do this from the command list, but it's easy in the Package Manager, just right click on the package and select "Properties", then click on the "Installed Files" tab. There can be a lot of files to go through (and most of them just data files, libraries & documentation), but this can help if you're not sure what was installed.

I tried out lmms and it doesn't add a menu option to the MintMenu, however you can add one yourself by right-clicking the MintMenu and selecting "Edit Menu". Scroll down to "Sound & Video" (or whereever you want to add the item) and select "New Item". The name can be whatever you want, the command should be "lmms" & you can change the icon by clicking on the picture button in the top left of the window. Click ok and you're done - should be a new entry in the menu straight away.
Zarius
LinuxMint 4.0 - Intel E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, ATI X1950XTX, 4GB ram, 400GB WD hdd, Phillips 170B LCD
Zarius
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions