Shutdown freezing with Mint Maya Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Shutdown freezing with Mint Maya Cinnamon

Postby Linuxneo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 am

Hi all,

Installed Mint Cinnamon on a desktop and a laptop - both alongside Win7. It seems wonderful but here's the thing :
On the desktop, it's fine ( leaving aside a graphic card niggle ) but on the laptop there's one major fault - when I try shutting down the system, it shows a long list of lines on the black screen and it all just freezes unless I do a hard reboot, pull the plug or some key manipulations to force a shutdown. Incidentally, if I choose a safe mode option at startup, this no longer occurs. Is it some hardware conflict, do you think? I'm still a Linux newbie and haven't learned how to investigate problems thoroughly.

Thanks in anticipation.
Linuxneo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shutdown freezing with Mint Maya Cinnamon

Postby Linuxneo on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 am

OK - I went away and did some reading on this and other websites, and with some trial and error, found a solution - apart from the REISUB way.
Patience is a great virtue.

Now if only I could find how to label this thread SOLVED .....
Linuxneo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Shutdown freezing with Mint Maya Cinnamon

Postby legitmint on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am

How did you fix it? i've been looking for ages on how to fix this problem
legitmint
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions