Probs using files from smb-share

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Probs using files from smb-share

Postby MintNewbie2008 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 am

Hey there,

I have the same prob as otherones in the forum explained, but no solution worked for me.

While opening a file from a smb-share (on a ms windows 2000 server) amarok came up with the error "no input plugin to handle..."

I made a connection with nautilus: File-> Connect to server ->
Servicetype -> windows share
Servername -> IP-Adress of server (e.g. 192.168.1.100)
Share -> Sharename
Username -> (administrator-account on the server)
Name to use for the connection -> test

I tried to browse the files through nautilus:
home/network/<workgroup>/<host>/<share>
But here i get the error:

" The folder contents could not be displayed.
You do not have the permissions necessary
to view the contents of "<share>"."

The File "Network" under my home has permissions for root xwr, for the current user only x-r might this be the problem?
If I right-click on the network-share in nautilus I can't change the permissions for my account (because the pull-down-menu is greyed out)...

The aim would be to open files from the windows-share directly without copy them first on the linuxdesktop (or homedrive in linux).

I would appreciate any help this issue?
What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Another newbie...
MintNewbie2008
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Probs using files from smb-share

Postby grimdestripador on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:01 am

I bet the file permissions error comes from the windows side. Try making a new folder, and sharing that. On windows create an admin with an actual password, and login using that. Also, when entering the path on the connect to, try typing out your server name and path rather than using the auto-lan-ping-everyione-detect-utility.

I've actually never mounted using your method, I've just used fstab once and it auto mounts just fine.
Code: Select all
sudo su
apt-get install smbfs
echo "winSever/share/folder    /media/winServer     smbfs     defaults      0     0" >> /etc/fstab
sudo mount -a
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Zarius on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Howdy,

I also have had some problems with the "/home/<user>/Network" folder. When it works it's great, since it allows full access to the files (eg. playing them directly off the share with any program), but I haven't managed to find out why it stops working (same thing "You do not have permissions").

It's not a problem from the Windows end, as I can browse it with the "Network" icon in the MintMenu (or under "Places" in the alt-f1 menu). That also allows access to the files, just a little more limited - you need to use totem-gstreamer to play them (rather than the default install of totem-xine). Apparently there is also a plugin or method of getting Amarok to open these "smb://" files as well, but I haven't managed that yet.
Zarius
LinuxMint 4.0 - Intel E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, ATI X1950XTX, 4GB ram, 400GB WD hdd, Phillips 170B LCD
Zarius
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grimdestripador on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:00 am

thanks for the totem-gstreamer advice, nice to know. I used to just dragged them all on my desktop like a play list, then delete them. I also have managed to get amarok to smb, but can't remember how, probally was during that session I was recompiling so I could have SQL database support (not just sqlite) back in older versions, but then again, I might be delusional.

might be that smb does not approparatly handle WINS serverices. or have them disabled

Depending on your configureation of you DHCP server it may not use WINS. Windows computers are smart (hehe dumb) enough to chirp noises on the network with WINS, and it more or less randomly chooses the HOST. Thus if the host if shut down, all windows computers chatter away untill it randomly negociates a new HOST. This isn't normally a problem, cause windows usually chooses the computer that has the largest uptime. But, linux ins't as communicitative as windows, and you have to tell it to be. Also windows tends to remember old references, (thats why one persons' network places may not be the same as another persons network places as the comptuer lab boots up).

The solution? sadly is to run your internet connection through XP as a shared internet connection, this will force XP to choose 192.168.0.1, configured with DHCP server and other windows necessities. You will also have to enable WINS in /etc/smb/smb.conf . If you are really clever with smb.conf I believe you can run you own WINS server, but good luck getting windows to find it (actually its part of the DHCP settings on your router).

Notes: I am not an expert!!!!! These facts are all heresay.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MintNewbie2008 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:51 am

thx for your answer i tried, but no success.

i didn't manage to you use your code:

apt-get install smbfs
echo "winSever/share/folder /media/winServer smbfs defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
sudo mount -a

1. with apt get , no need to get any more applications, they are all installed
2. echo just displays the line....

i created a new share with full permission for the Administrator (user of windows-host).
i can fully access the share through the icon on the desktop of linux (cut, copy, create new files) BUT not executing them... funny.
as soon as i try to browse them through home/network/"hostname"/"share"/"directory" the error message:

"The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "directory"."

i don't understand why i cannot browse or execute .doc or .mp3 through the icon/link on the desktop BUT in the opposite i'm able to open .pdf-files directly from the there....
MintNewbie2008
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grimdestripador on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:46 pm

You said that it just displayed you text in the terminal, yes it does, but it also should write a line to /etc/fstab as long as you were "sudo su" before hand.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions