Partitioning for Linux Mint - solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Partitioning for Linux Mint

Postby McLovin on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:57 pm

I was just playin' :lol: , as for the old ways, I used to use boot floppys, :shock: good ol' Mandrake8, my first taste of the sweet sweet, sticky, yummy.....um....Linux, yeah that's it. :oops:
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby jeremiah2329 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 pm

In a follow-up to this partitioning discussion, I am wondering about primary vs. extended partitions. I am working on repartitioning (using gparted) a drive that has a windows xp partition on it.
If I am to use a partition scheme like the one suggested by Fred:
Fred wrote:/boot ext2 250 MB
/swap swap 2 Gig.
/ (root) ext3 12 Gig.
/home ext3 6 Gig.
/home/your_username/My_Data ext3 30 Gig.

Then I will obviously run up against the limit of primary partitions. So, is there any advantage to using primary vs. extended partitions for certain aspects of the partitioning plan? I assume that the windows xp partition must be a primary partition. So would it be best to partition the rest of the disk as a large extended partition and then place the boot, swap, root and home partitions within that extended partition?

Thanks, again.
Ron
jeremiah2329
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:12 pm

Ron,

Please let me take this opportunity to apologize for high-jacking your thread. Sometimes the devil makes me do things I shouldn't do. :-)

To my knowledge there is no advantage to using all logical partitions. Some old BIOSs didn't like to boot from anything but a primary partition, but that problem has pretty much been solved and isn't much of an issue anymore.

If it were me, I would use a primary partition for /boot and swap, if you have them available. Keep the /boot and swap partitions as close to the top of the partition table as possible/practical. Make the rest extended/logical partitions.

Yes, Windows should be on the first primary partition of the first drive.

The best reason I can give you for doing it like that is "old dogs, new tricks," and stuff like that. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jeremiah2329 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Fred wrote:Windows should be on the first primary partition of the first drive.

I guess I jumped the gun - I was sure that it needed to be in a primary partition, but I had moved it to the end of the drive. My plan was to have the extended partition first (and then have boot and swap first within that) and the windows partition after the extended partition.

Will that work? Or do I need to move the windows partition back to the front of the drive?
jeremiah2329
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:47 pm

jeremiah2329,

I hate to say it, but yes, I would move it back to the top of the partition table and put it on the first primary partition. My experience has been that you will have fewer problems with Windows if you do it that way.

I don't use Windows, but dual boot systems that I have done for others rarely have problems when the Windows install is on the first partition. When I get fancy and try to outsmart Microsoft, I usually regret it.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jeremiah2329 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Fred -
Thanks for all of your assistance (along with all the others who have contributed to this thread) - and no problem with the hijacking - probably helped the thread keep people interested!

Hopefully my last question on this issue for now: When we refer to the "first" partition - is this determined by it's location on the disk or it's "label" (i.e. hda1, hda2, etc.)?

Also, in gparted, is the beginning of the disk to the left or the right on the graphical display?

Hda1 is my windows partition, but I moved it all the way to the right. I have no problem moving it back to the "beginning" of the drive (I'd rather do it right the first time). I just want to make sure I know where the "beginning" is!

-Ron
jeremiah2329
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Ron,

The left of the graphical display in gparted is the top of the partition table or the outside of the disk.

You want to wind up with hda1 being your Windows partition, and it being located on the far left of the graphic, and the first item in the list underneath the graphic.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Fred

PS: Feel free to post back if you have additional questions. I don't mind helping you if I can.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jeremiah2329 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks again to all those who helped me with this subject. I now have my laptop successfully dual booting to Linux Mint and Windows XP (which I hopefully won't be using much as I move forward!). It's nice to have such a friendly and helpful resources as this forum for those of us venturing into the world of Linux.

-Ron
jeremiah2329
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions