M4A for Amarok

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

M4A for Amarok

Postby ultra on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 pm

I've tried for countless hours on figuring out how to play M4A format in Amarok..its come to point where I want to go back to XP for those missing components. Has anyone come to a true solution for this. I'm using Daryna Gnome edition. Amarok Forums don't help much. Seems like there's only a couple of guys runnin the forums.. ..
ultra
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: M4A for Amarok

Postby MagnusB on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:03 am

Have you installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse and gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad? And some fast Googling shows that M4A is troublesome, I would suggest looking for a good converter, if this is an option.
I still prefer good 'ol reliable MP3 :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Dennis99 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:56 am

Do you have libxine1-ffmpeg installed?
from
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... stion/3007
Dennis99
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ultra on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 pm

MagnusB wrote:Have you installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse and gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad? And some fast Googling shows that M4A is troublesome, I would suggest looking for a good converter, if this is an option.
I still prefer good 'ol reliable MP3 :)

Those packages are already installed. But did no use.
ultra
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ultra on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Dennis99 wrote:Do you have libxine1-ffmpeg installed?
from
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... stion/3007

Dang..you guys are retracing my steps. This was actually the first site I went to and that package too was already installed..
ultra
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dennis99 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:09 pm

I just downloaded an m4a podcast from here http://www.podcastblaster.com/directory ... -1612.html (not my musical taste just as an experiment :D ) and it played straight away on my bog-standard Mint install.

In this zip file is a short sample which also played no problem.
http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?a ... 1115301932

By the by can you play aac and aac+ files as I believe they are the same as m4a.
Dennis99
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ultra on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 pm

I don't have any AAC files. But I did try playing M4A files with other apps: VLC, Mplayer, but not Totem player (since I removed that app) and it still doesn't play..odd!

Obviously now I'm guessing I'm missing a certain codec that wasn't in the installation disk. But I can still play movies and dvds fine?!?
ultra
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:51 am

As I stated above. M4A seems troublesome in Linux. Have you tried playing them with Rhythmbox? Those two packages I posted did work for some with Rhythmbox.
As for we retracing your step, could be useful if you posted what you already had tried, mostly with these issues I just google and check the best result, as you obviously had done as well. My google search discovered some converters though, maybe that could be an alternative.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ultra on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:32 am

MagnusB wrote:As I stated above. M4A seems troublesome in Linux. Have you tried playing them with Rhythmbox? Those two packages I posted did work for some with Rhythmbox.
As for we retracing your step, could be useful if you posted what you already had tried, mostly with these issues I just google and check the best result, as you obviously had done as well. My google search discovered some converters though, maybe that could be an alternative.

Rhythmbox was crashing on me quite alot when I tried it, so I stayed away from that. Amarok is the only player out there comparable enough to XP's counterpart: Media Monkey!!! I will look into the alternative when I get back from holidays, but for now I guess I'll just have to transfer them to my xp machine then transfer it back.

Thanks for the help though.
ultra
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:45 am

I'll look a bit into it later, I need my external HDD to see if I have some M4A files laying around. But isn't M4A basically just MP4 audio files? One alternative could be Quicktime 4 Linux, but I have no previous experience with it at all, and might be poorly suited for an audio player.
Just found a post in Ubuntu forums about Banshee though, but you need gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse. Remember I was missing some GStreamer plugins for ripping to MP3 with SoundJuicer, not sure if Amarok use GStreamer though..
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:09 am

If the files you are trying to play were downloaded from iTunes chances are they are protected files and will not play with the current codecs available through Linux. iTunes is now offering DRM free music on all new songs they are adding however most of the stuff previously added before about 6 months ago if I recall right is DRM protected.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kwisher on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am

Hello All,

I have recently been down this road but in a different direction. My kids both have iPods, which I tried to discourage for as long as I could. But I gave in to the constant "but everybody else has iPods, why can't we?". Not being familiar with iTunes, I didn't set up the ripping feature correctly and any music they ripped was converted to the m4a format, which is not DRM protected. Then last Christmas they received iTunes gift cards. Luckily they only purchased around 50 songs from the iTunes store, which are in the DRM m4p format. Now my daughter wants to make mp3 disks for her car. iTunes will not do this for you. In fact the only thing you can do is make an audio cd. I was able to convert all of the m4a files to mp3 with a free utility app found here:

http://pragmattica.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... -on-linux/

To convert the DRM m4p files I used a Windows app called Noteburner. I was able to convert their 50 songs with just using the trial version.

http://www.downloadatoz.com/noteburner- ... converter/

Now that I have all their music files converted to mp3, I am not going to let them purchase any DRM music. You can also make iTunes to keep everything in mp3 format so hopefully I will not have this problem in the future.

Hope this helps.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby tawan on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:37 am

handy thanks.
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions