Notebook freezes on shutdown, brightness issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Notebook freezes on shutdown, brightness issues

Postby robin92 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:12 am

Hello everyone,

I've been using Linux for several months, but it's my second day with this particullar distro. I must say I like it but I suffer from two unresolved issues which have a serious impact on deriving pleasure from using this OS.

1. This is a top priority issue: computer randomly either freezes on shutdown or keeps printing strange things in a loop. I really don't know what to do with this matter or even what more info to provide so any help is more than appreciated.

[SOLVED]
2. Classic laptop brightness issues. Linux starts with full brightness and there's no way I can reduce it (neither through notebook's functional keys nor through applications). I tried changing /etc/default/grub from
Code: Select all
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
but nothing happened.

I am using Linux Mint 13 "Maya" Cinammon on a TOSHIBA L650-1NU notebook.

EDIT: Successfully solved second issue by adding
"acpi_osi="
in spite of
"acpi_backlight=vendor"

EDIT: I've taken a photo of that strange text during shutdown. Take a look http://dl.dropbox.com/u/90959340/strange-thing.jpg
EDIT: I managed to discover what is causing the first issuse - it's FGLRX Radeon drivers from repository (Additional drivers section). When I downloaded the newest from AMD website and installed them everything worked just fine. What's more, it occured to me that second problem could be caused by the driver as well. I checked this and was right. However, after updating Linux Mint my system crashed again. I've lost a bottom panel as well as window decorations though I am still able to open folders and so on.
robin92
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions