Dual booting

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual booting

Postby neismint on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:54 am

I have Linux Mint installed but would like to install Ubuntu as well to make a dual boot system. Could someone tell me how i might achieve this please.
neismint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual booting

Postby Husse on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:09 am

Just install
Of course you have to resize a partition if you don't have free space or a left over partition
Ubuntu uses the same installer as Mint and will make a correct grub with all distros listed
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby neismint on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 am

I entered the BIOS to change the boot sequence from the Hard-Drive to CD ROM Group. Then i placed the Ubuntu 7.10 CD into the drive, but all i got was an error loading from CD? Have used the same "Live" CD before without any problems.
neismint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shabadu on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:37 pm

I have a dual boot of Mint/Vista with a 4gb swap plus a 1.8 gb vista recovery partition. I want to get rid of the recovery partition since I have recovery DVD, and install pupplylinux so that I would have a triple boot option. Should I install puppy to the system now to the Mint/Vista or should I install pupply first and then reinstall Mint? My concern is in getting the grub right, so that all 3 are recognized. Since puppy's installer is barebones, I don't know if I would pick up where it might go astray. Even with the Mint Installer I might screw it up.

The reason I want to do this is because this is on my laptop and I travel a lot, and sometimes I need to get my kit up and rolling quickly. Pupply boots much faster than anything else and it would recognized both the other systems. That way if I just need to access a file I can get it off Mint and print it out and shut back down in less than lets say 3 minutes. Granted Mint doesn't take that much longer to boot, but when you're trying to balance a large laptop over the top of a waste basket, that being the nearest "flat" surface around, the minute or so that it takes to boot up seems forever. Forget Vista, that usually takes like 3 minutes before it is all booted up and of course, it doesn't see any of the other OS's.
shabadu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:23 pm

shabadu,

I would suggest that you not do a complete hard drive install of Puppy. I would do what I think they call a frugal install that still boots off the cd.

It is just as fast booting because all the files are on the hard drive, stored in a special compressed folder. The only thing the cd does is start the boot process.

The biggest problem that I have with Puppy is that it runs in root. Don't get me wrong, I like and use Puppy all the time, but from a cd as a tool kit. There being no persistent memory used I can't get rooted.

If you do a frugal install the file system is stored in a very unconventional manner, making it quite unlikely that a root kit that wasn't designed specifically for that type of Puppy install would work. Even if you got exposed somehow.

Just my two cents worth.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby stevenofnine on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 pm

I highly, highly, highly recommend that you do not erase that Vista Recovery partition.

It's not very large, and will save you a mountain of headaches using the multiple recovery DVDs if you ever have an issue.

Also, you should consult with the distros in their own fora on their installation of GRUB.

I've found that once you get past 2 O/S, some don't include all Linux installs in their GRUB, and you have to manually add them.

I would install Puppy first, then (x)Ubuntu. PCLinuxOS is the only distro I found that adds every install to GRUB, including multiple linux installs. However, Mint may do so, and newer (x)Ubuntu, also.
stevenofnine
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 pm

I can confirm that Puppy does not play nice with grub when doing a hard drive install. You will have to fix it manually. I would suggest that if and when you do so, set it up to chainload Puppy. This will solve most problems when updating Puppy.

I still think that a hard drive install of Puppy is a bad idea though.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:39 am

PCLinuxOS is the only distro I found that adds every install to GRUB, including multiple linux installs. However, Mint may do so, and newer (x)Ubuntu, also.

???
In my (personal) experience the only thing PCLOS added was Win XP - you could add manually during install if you knew the lines that load the other distros kernel....
Ubiqity does this and thus Mint, and all tastes of Ubuntu
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions