Firewall

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Firewall

Postby cato40 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:13 am

Could anyone please tell me , if "Mint" has a firewall as default, when it is installed. I have to disable it temporarily
to enable me to access my Credit Union. :(
cato40
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firewall

Postby Slocker on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:38 am

Mint doesn't have a firewall. The only firewall application that it would be consider as one should be iptables. But I don't know it is active or not, I believe not. Anyway that seems more a problem with your router. If you had other OS before Mint could you access Credit Union just fine?
Alex Slocker
Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jam12 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:10 am

I thought I might as well ask my question here (sos if I'm stealing the thread but makes more sense to post my Q than making a new thread).

Q: I've downloaded firestarter as a firewall since its simplicity. I have my router firewall enabled anyway but just wanted some extra protection. When I boot into linux, does firestarter automatically start? I always open it manually as then the icon appears in the taskbar - the icon never appears by itself.

Thanks
jam.
jam12
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Slocker on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 am

Maybe the daemon is started, and when you click in the app is launched the configuring client. I don't know, I've never used Firestarter. You can check it in a very simple way. Open a terminal and write:

Code: Select all
sudo /etc/init.d/firestarter start

Perhaps is not 'firestarter', try 'firestarterd' or something. Just dig around.

If it tells you that is already started then the daemon starts at boot time. If it shows you that is not started nor exists, then you have to start it manually. If you want the app to auto-start add it to Menu > Sessions > Startup Programs; there click add and enter firestarter or the command used to launch. And you're done.
Alex Slocker
Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:43 am

Hold on guys and gals. Lets get this in perspective a bit.

Iptables controls the ports. It is a part of the port system and is always active, as long as the system is running. Iptables is as close to a Windows "firewall" as you get in Linux. In Windows, the firewall is not a part of the system infrastructure, but an add-on afterthought.

Often times Windows converts call "Guarddog," "Firestarter," or any number of other configuration GUIs firewalls. They are not. They are only a graphical means of constructing port rules without having to resort to the CLI.

All Linux distros that I am aware of come with a default set of port rules. How locked down the port system is depends on the developers that put out the distro. They try to hit a happy medium between allowing communications for the most used protocols and ports and locking the bad guys out.

The configuration utilities like "Firestarter" make it easier for new users to customize their port rules for their own needs without having to use the CLI.

Hope this increases your understanding somewhat.

Fred

EDIT: The configuration utility does not need to run except when you wish to configure the rules for Iptables.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Slocker on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:56 am

Yes indeed. I always thought iptables is apart from firewalls, or said in a different way, Firestarter or other firewalls nothing had to do with iptables. Thanks a lot!
Alex Slocker
Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BAD on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Way to set them straight Fred.

You may be able to try different distro with a live CD and see if that lets you through.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cato40 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:55 am

Thank you folks:
I tried "Konquerer" and I was able to access my accounts without any glitches.
cato40 :D
cato40
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cato40 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:53 am

Thanks for all the replies
cato
cato40
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions