graying of firefox.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

graying of firefox.

Postby zipidachimp on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:00 am

this is a new install of mint 4.0. daily now, firefox turns gray, no color, and stops responding. very disconcerting.
have celeron 2.4ghz, 1gb ram, ati 9250 vid card and soundblaster. unit is 3 years old.

solved another problem of 'frostwire, no sound' by disabling on-board audio. works ok now.

need an answer quick or i'm buying a new pc, rats! :(
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: graying of firefox.

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:06 am

When Ff grays out it either freezing or experiencing some other problems. I have noted that when you have a network problem - bad connection - this happens
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby zipidachimp on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 am

i'm scared this is a m/board problem. my previous one crapped out. doesn't happen all the time though. my connections are good, e-mail is gettin' through.
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Postby stevenofnine on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Take a look at System Monitor, and see if, while this is happening, Firefox is using a lot of CPU. When my FF is trying, as Husse states, to get a connection, it uses a lot more CPU than one would expect.

Alternately, try installing Opera or even Flock/Seamonkey and see if they experience the same issues on the same websites at the same time.
stevenofnine
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 am

Hopefully Clem soon makes a Mint FF 2.0.0.13 This seemingly important update out yesterday and I've pushed on Clem :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions