im completly new to this and need help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

im completly new to this and need help

Postby wheniriseagain on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:15 pm

i have an acer aspire 5050 and i cant get my wireless to worke with linux mint and i dont have any where to hook up through ethernet. i also have vista running on this laptop. im wanting to start using linux more but i cant get it to see my wireless card i need help can some one help me please. im realy new to this so i dont understand most of the terminal commands either.
wheniriseagain
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: im completly new to this and need help

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Before we can help please open up the Terminal and type "lsmod" then copy and paste the results into openoffice and save it to the documents folder under your username on the Windows drive or on a memory card in a format that you can open up in windows. Then boot back into Windows open the file from where ever you saved it and post it to the forum. So that we can see what modules aka drivers are loaded on your system.

Also you can have a look at this post and follow the steps this may solve your problem.http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2577
Last edited by curtiswtaylorjr on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:19 pm

And we also need the output of
Code: Select all
lspci

I can't see how the modules can help us without knowing what card you have.... However, it might be necessary for you to use a wired connection for a short period of time to download some packages, just so you are warned..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby wheniriseagain on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 pm

ok so i got the driver and installed it but when i go to internet connections it only shows wired and modem.

here is an image

wheniriseagain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Just looking around and see this one is un-answered / perhaps not solved. So just in case, I'll add that Husse has included some instructions on this topic in the wiki, indicating that the network manager has problems with some cards. You may want to look at these instructions.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions