Changing Monitor Resolution

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Changing Monitor Resolution

Postby TheKid7 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:06 pm

I have tried many Linux Distros and have been running into a common problem with many of them, including LinuxMint. My Motherboard has VIA Unichrome Pro 2D On-Board Graphics. When LinuxMint is installed it typically sets the resolution at the maximum supported by the Monitor. I previously had a CRT (Max. 1600x1200). When the CRT burned out I got a LCD (Max 1280?x1024?). When I change the resolution to a lower value (say 1024x768) it usually works fine until I restart. On restart the screen is mostly black with some specks of light. I do not know how to recover from the mostly black screen so I usually either install a different distro or re-install the same distro.

1. How would you properly recover from this to avoid re-installing LinuxMint.
2. Any ideas on how to make it work at 1024x768. I have tried to switch from Vesa to Openchrome drivers but this usually fails the test.

Thank you.

P.S.: I am so frustrated with this problem that I have considered switching out this Motherboard with one that many people say works well with Ubuntu based distros.
TheKid7
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing Monitor Resolution

Postby TidusBlade on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:55 pm

I dunno if this will work, but when you get the black screen, press CTRL + ALT + F1 which should bring you up to a terminal session. Log in, preferably as root and run envy, and install your drivers, then edit the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ to the resolution of 1024x768

Im not very experienced with xorg.conf so you might wanna look at this guide on how to change your resolution in xorg.conf

Hope you fix the problem :D
TidusBlade
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions