Login problem--I f**cked up >_>

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Login problem--I f**cked up >_>

Postby wallowinthemire on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Recently I ran into the problem of this error message while logging in that told me my .dmrc file was being ignored, and then another one upon actually typing in my password that said my .ICEauthority file was unable to be locked. I fixed one of those problems by doing a chmod on my home/username folder, but while i was trying to solve the other problem, I actually ended up exacerbating the situation. Now, I can no longer log in--when I type in my password, absolutely nothing happens. I have no idea how to fix this problem. What I think happened before this problem was that I had switched the permissions of the entire home/username folder to be only allowed to one user, causing programs to shut down, and I couldnt open up new programs (i.e. terminal, firefox, thunderbird) and I don't know how to reverse that. Any help plz?
wallowinthemire
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Login problem--I f**cked up >_>

Postby Husse on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:00 am

Please don't cross post - your other post has been deleted
I think you can delete the two hidden files you mention from "Recovery mode"
Then you have to give a new password...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions