Adept not working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Adept not working

Postby Nerdboy on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 am

Hi all

having trouble with Adept, i was trying to install google earth, i have the Icon but it wont launch and now i get this message

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).
Would you like to attempt to resolve this problem? No will enter read-only mode and Cancel to quit and resolve this issue yourself.

but i am to new at linux to know how to shut it down, like a window tadk manager (end task) or find whats using it.

any assistance would be great

Regards Daz
Nerdboy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Adept not working

Postby ed@Mint on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:54 am

Make sure that no other package manager is running (like (add/remove applications or synaptic, or mintUpdate)
If you are using command line, make sure to launch the program with "sudo" in front of it

Hope this helps...
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Adept not working

Postby MagnusB on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --configure -a

I had to do that on my Kubuntu installation (clean install today), I'm not sure if it was an update or something that went wrong. I think the issue is that the lock file is not "opened" after the update, or something..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions