Assign an app to key shortcut

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Assign an app to key shortcut

Postby c0dehunter on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 am

I uninstalled the default GCalcTool because it didn't recognized comma as separator. Now I've installed Galculator but "Fn+Enter" shortcut doesn't work anymore (previously it opened GCalcTool, now I want it to open Galculator).

I've looked into Keyboard Shortcuts but you can only set shortcuts itself there but not the app which you want to be opened. How to?
c0dehunter
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Assign an app to key shortcut

Postby kyphi on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm

GCalcTool does recognise a comma as a separator. Go to Preferences and tick the box "Show thousands separators"

To set a keyboard shortcut, open System Settings, Keyboard, Shortcuts and follow the instructions given on how to edit a shortcut. The Fn key has no mention there - use Ctrl and/or Alt plus another key.
Qiana Cinnamon 64bit
kyphi
Level 6
Level 6

Postby c0dehunter on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:39 am

https://www.google.si/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=13&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=gcalctool+comma

^ this makes me wonder about GCalcTool. And enabling that option didn't even work for me.

Thanks for input, I've been able to set the sortcut to CTRL+ENTER which works now for Galculator.
c0dehunter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mjones41 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm

With Mint 14, the new Mate-Calc V1.4 doesn't show the thousands separator even when the box is ticked in preferences, I read this wont be fixed until version 1.6, which I assume means it's not seen as important.

The solution right now is the install Gcalctool V6.6 from the repos, the thousands preference box works in this one.

I did also see some talk of this being a "regional" issue, I have my region Australia, I wonder if you have US language and region this problem doesn't exist? This might explain why the devs have seemingly put this on the back burner. I use the calculator daily, and it's a night mare dealing with large numbers and no thousands separator.

Anyway I am glad there is a work-around.

Cheers
Matt
mjones41
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions