Newbie to linux NEED HELP!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie to linux NEED HELP!!

Postby infectedArcAngle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi guys ,

Well i've downloaded Linux mint from the torrent linked from this site. After I download it and try burning it with Power ISO it says theres nothing on the disc, I have tried burning it this way about 5 times. I was wondering if you guys know any programs i can use to burn the os. I downloaded the Main GNOME version if that helps, ill probably have more questions about dual booting this with vista soon so please help of you can it means a lot for a long time windows user but a hoping to be new linux user :D
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie to linux NEED HELP!!

Postby faktor on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Try Nero, clonecd or any other normal cd-burner program. Then it should be no problem at all to burn a linuxmint cd.
You have chosen one of the best distro you can find..........
faktor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby infectedArcAngle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks I'll try nero and umm this is going to make me look like a huge loser but what does distro mean ?
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby infectedArcAngle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:35 pm

faktor wrote:Try Nero, clonecd or any other normal cd-burner program. Then it should be no problem at all to burn a linuxmint cd.

Thanks a lot, it burnt perfectly with nero now i just need to figure out how to dual boot with vista already installed
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby faktor on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:35 pm

In that cas we both are big losers, I'm a noob my self :D

dist= distribution

Ubuntu is one distribution based on Debian.
LinuxMint is a distribution based on Ububtu, and so on.......
faktor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby infectedArcAngle on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm

faktor wrote:In that cas we both are big losers, I'm a noob my self :D

dist= distribution

Ubuntu is one distribution based on Debian.
LinuxMint is a distribution based on Ububtu, and so on.......

Lol i was thinking it meant something along those lines i just wanted to make sure before i go and make an idiot of myself lol
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby faktor on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 pm

infectedArcAngle wrote:
faktor wrote:Try Nero, clonecd or any other normal cd-burner program. Then it should be no problem at all to burn a linuxmint cd.

Thanks a lot, it burnt perfectly with nero now i just need to figure out how to dual boot with vista already installed

First you should boot with the cd, then you will come in to live mood. Check all out and see if it's working with your computer (hardware).

Second (by own experience) take BACKUP, if you have important stuff in your windows OS.

You need some space on your hard disk or if you have a second drive in your computer that you can wipe out, then you can install LinuxMint on that.
faktor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby atlef on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:08 am

infectedArcAngle wrote:

Grub will handle this for you, giving you the possibility to boot either system.
You should also take a look at this thread in these forums about partitioning your drive.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions