(solved) considering switch to Mint 4.0 KDE from Gnome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: considering switch to Mint 4.0 KDE from Gnome-have questions

Postby MALsPa on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 pm

The only reason I can think of for anyone to change from Gnome to KDE would be.... "you like KDE better." :-)

And the same goes for changing from KDE to Gnome.

Or to see what the other side is like. I was very KDE-centric and didn't think I'd like GNOME at all because of things I'd read. But I knew a lot of people liked it so I wanted to get a feel for it and find out why. Now I like using GNOME very much, as well as other desktop environments and window managers! One of the things I like most about Linux is that I can log into different environments on different days.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:07 pm

MALsPa,

All quite true. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:08 pm

With 25 GB for Mint I'd say swap so that your memory and swap becomes 3 GB (that's the most you can use) about 8 GB for / (root) and the rest for home
Fred has some really good idea for home in a recent thread - check it out
@Fred
Well I kinda like the forum, and when the TV programs are what they are, what can you do? :lol:
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby huntwell on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:05 pm

I checked out Fred's thread for partitioning and also appreciate your advice. I should probably reinstall with a better partitioning configuration. I don't think I will be installing the KDE version however, since Mint KDE does not recognize any wireless signals, nor does it detect my wireless card. I have had this problem with other distros in the past and have found it to be a major pain to remedy. It's nice to have a distro automatically pick up the wireless signals.

Maybe when I have more time on my hands and can more easily find how to configure the restricted drivers manager, etc. on KDE I will try it out, but for now I think I will stick with Gnome.

Thanks all,
Huntwell
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:07 pm

huntwell wrote:I checked out Fred's thread for partitioning and also appreciate your advice. I should probably reinstall with a better partitioning configuration. I don't think I will be installing the KDE version however, since Mint KDE does not recognize any wireless signals, nor does it detect my wireless card. I have had this problem with other distros in the past and have found it to be a major pain to remedy. It's nice to have a distro automatically pick up the wireless signals.

Maybe when I have more time on my hands and can more easily find how to configure the restricted drivers manager, etc. on KDE I will try it out, but for now I think I will stick with Gnome.

Thanks all,
Huntwell

That is wierd, I use the KDE version and it found my card and WLAN automagically!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby huntwell on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:37 pm

I thought that since Daryna Gnome picked up the wireless automatically that KDE would do the same, but it hasn't worked out that way. I have searched for some threads on what may be the cause of the problem, but I have not been able to find one.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby huntwell on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I think I figured out how to fix the wireless issue, I need to uninstall ndiswrapper and install fwcutter. The only problem is that for some reason I cannot install or uninstall programs. When I go to the package manager, I get an error and can read only, nothing more. After installing Mint KDE and having these problems, I decided it wasn't worth that much trouble and reinstalled Gnome.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions