(solved) considering switch to Mint 4.0 KDE from Gnome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: considering switch to Mint 4.0 KDE from Gnome-have questions

Postby MALsPa on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 pm

The only reason I can think of for anyone to change from Gnome to KDE would be.... "you like KDE better." :-)

And the same goes for changing from KDE to Gnome.

Or to see what the other side is like. I was very KDE-centric and didn't think I'd like GNOME at all because of things I'd read. But I knew a lot of people liked it so I wanted to get a feel for it and find out why. Now I like using GNOME very much, as well as other desktop environments and window managers! One of the things I like most about Linux is that I can log into different environments on different days.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:07 pm

MALsPa,

All quite true. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:08 pm

With 25 GB for Mint I'd say swap so that your memory and swap becomes 3 GB (that's the most you can use) about 8 GB for / (root) and the rest for home
Fred has some really good idea for home in a recent thread - check it out
@Fred
Well I kinda like the forum, and when the TV programs are what they are, what can you do? :lol:
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby huntwell on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:05 pm

I checked out Fred's thread for partitioning and also appreciate your advice. I should probably reinstall with a better partitioning configuration. I don't think I will be installing the KDE version however, since Mint KDE does not recognize any wireless signals, nor does it detect my wireless card. I have had this problem with other distros in the past and have found it to be a major pain to remedy. It's nice to have a distro automatically pick up the wireless signals.

Maybe when I have more time on my hands and can more easily find how to configure the restricted drivers manager, etc. on KDE I will try it out, but for now I think I will stick with Gnome.

Thanks all,
Huntwell
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:07 pm

huntwell wrote:I checked out Fred's thread for partitioning and also appreciate your advice. I should probably reinstall with a better partitioning configuration. I don't think I will be installing the KDE version however, since Mint KDE does not recognize any wireless signals, nor does it detect my wireless card. I have had this problem with other distros in the past and have found it to be a major pain to remedy. It's nice to have a distro automatically pick up the wireless signals.

Maybe when I have more time on my hands and can more easily find how to configure the restricted drivers manager, etc. on KDE I will try it out, but for now I think I will stick with Gnome.

Thanks all,
Huntwell

That is wierd, I use the KDE version and it found my card and WLAN automagically!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby huntwell on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:37 pm

I thought that since Daryna Gnome picked up the wireless automatically that KDE would do the same, but it hasn't worked out that way. I have searched for some threads on what may be the cause of the problem, but I have not been able to find one.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby huntwell on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I think I figured out how to fix the wireless issue, I need to uninstall ndiswrapper and install fwcutter. The only problem is that for some reason I cannot install or uninstall programs. When I go to the package manager, I get an error and can read only, nothing more. After installing Mint KDE and having these problems, I decided it wasn't worth that much trouble and reinstalled Gnome.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions