How to maximize battery life ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to maximize battery life ?

Postby younity on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Hello,

Topic says it all ! For the 'lil story, I'm new to linux, and I've been trying several distros before being seduced by Mint, its fastness, smoothness and friendly use ! I'm not going to whine about linux, but I really need a battery life as good as on Windows Vista. I take my laptop to university everyday ; basically I only use Word and type my classes for sometimes 4 hours straight. Under Vista, when I disable Wifi interface, Aero, Sidebar and dim brightness a bit, I can get up to 4 hours of battery life, just what I need. The thing is, now I really want to switch to Linux, but Mint only offers me 2.5 hours of autonomy, sometimes even less :(
What are the tips to lenghten battery life ? Is there a way to systematically disable Wireless or WLAN scanning at system startup ? I heard about PowerTOP utility, tried it, but it's still far away from being competitive with Vista.

Again, this is not a Vista vs Linux thread ; I'm just looking for a solution to fit my needs.

Thanks!
younity
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to maximize battery life ?

Postby catweazle on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:48 pm

catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions