dumb questions still new to linux :(

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

dumb questions still new to linux :(

Postby infectedArcAngle on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:10 pm

So i was wondering if there is any way to use Msn on linux and if so can i still use webcams on it ? and Second im not sure as of what Distribution of Compiz fusion i should download seeing that it does not list Mint anywhere :s thanks every and sorry for your inconvenience
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dumb questions still new to linux :(

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:46 pm

No MSN messenger. There are great alternatives however, and if you wish to Webcam I'd suggest using AMSN. You can get it through Synaptic. Compiz-fusion is installed by default in Mint. To help you figure out how to get it working it depends on the graphics card, if you have integrated graphics it should work out-of-the-box. If you have dedicated NVIDIA or ATI cards, then you have to get the proprietary drivers for it.
1. If you have intergrated graphics go to step 2 if not go to step 3.
2. Go to mintmenu, preferences, appearances, go to the Visual Effects tab, and try normal or extra. For more customization go to Synaptic Package Manager and install compizconfig-settings-manager.
3.If you need the proprietary drivers i'd suggest a program called Envy, you can download the latest version here http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html. Use the program and automatically install the drivers for your system, once you have that all done, go to step 2.

PS: You're in the Newbie section, we know you're new and have questions. :D . Try and focus your title more towards your problem, the more specific you are the greater chance someone reads your thread and can help if they know about it.

Cheers.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: dumb questions still new to linux :(

Postby MagnusB on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:29 am

Another note is that there is no such thing as a dumb question in a good community, you'll most likely get an answer no matter how "dumb" the question may be. Even the most experienced user may have some dumb questions once in a while, I know I have to slap my self some times for not figuring out stuff on my own...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions