Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Problem Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Problem Solved]

Postby DanielTx on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:26 pm

I have an XP / Mint Daryna dual boot pc that is now having problems booting into Linux. It gets as far as the Mint graphic, but the progress bar never moves. Everything was working a few weeks ago, but I have since finished setting up the PC for my XP stuff. The last message on boot up is regarding the DVD drive, I did unplug my multicard reader since I don't think I have booted Mint since that was installed.

Where do I look for errors? I can't find any logs under /var/logs. Would booting from the Live CD prove anything or help me see any errors?

Thanks,
Daniel
Last edited by DanielTx on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanielTx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot setup - Mint now hangs on boot...

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:14 am

I guess you can boot into "Recovery mode"
Please note that you are root there and you must be careful and never use startx
If you manage to boot into "Recovery mode" then do
nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Find the line that boots Mint normally. It looks something like
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet

Delete quiet and save the changed file - then reboot (normal boot)
Now you can see whats happening and where the boot stops. This tells a lot about the possible error.
You can do it from the live CD as well.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DanielTx on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:37 am

I get the same thing in recovery mode. I can remove the quiet splash setting on the grub menu, I'll do that again and then post the last step of the boot process. I think the last step was at my cdrom/dvd burner, but that hardware hasn't changed since everything worked.
DanielTx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stevenofnine on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:22 am

If you don't mind mucking about under the hood, then physically unplug your drive, if you see that the issue is a stop there.

You should also be prepared to look at and perhaps edit your fstab, taking special care to note the settings for your CDROM0 or whatever the drive has been called there.

Anyway, poewr off the computer, physically disconnect the drive, and reboot into Mint. If the problem is a compatibility or boot issue with the drive, you should get past that point.

If you do successfully boot, then it's time to wonder if the drive's not going bad. perhaps a firmware upgrade from your windows boot?
stevenofnine
Level 2
Level 2

Postby DanielTx on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:29 pm

I remembered that I plugged in several devices at the end of my PC build. What appears to be the problem is my 2nd hard drive(it's IDE, the first - where xp and mint are installed is SATA). Mint or grub is trying to boot from my 2nd drive thinking it is the master I guess? It's a seagate barracuda and I don't have any jumper pins in it...What do I need to change to make mint boot from the SATA drive with both plugged in?
DanielTx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Probelm Solved]

Postby DanielTx on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:37 pm

After reading a lot of message boards, I found that even though my hard drive boot order was set correctly in my bios, the bios was recognizing the IDE drive first, then the SATA. So the SATA drive is now sdb since I have the second drive plugged in.

I had to change /boot/grub/menu.lst to look for the linux kernel on sdb3 instead of sda3. I guess I'll need to remember this if I ever take out the IDE drive or replace it with a SATA drive.

Thanks for the help.
DanielTx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Problem Solved]

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:57 am

Just a remark to help people with mixed SATA/PATA
The boot order is set within each group and the boot order of the two groups is not possible to change - it's hard coded in the motherboard. First mostly PATA had priority now all boards with PATA has it as second in boot order
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions