Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Problem Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DanielTx

Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Problem Solved]

Post by DanielTx »

I have an XP / Mint Daryna dual boot pc that is now having problems booting into Linux. It gets as far as the Mint graphic, but the progress bar never moves. Everything was working a few weeks ago, but I have since finished setting up the PC for my XP stuff. The last message on boot up is regarding the DVD drive, I did unplug my multicard reader since I don't think I have booted Mint since that was installed.

Where do I look for errors? I can't find any logs under /var/logs. Would booting from the Live CD prove anything or help me see any errors?

Thanks,
Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Dual boot setup - Mint now hangs on boot...

Post by Husse »

I guess you can boot into "Recovery mode"
Please note that you are root there and you must be careful and never use startx
If you manage to boot into "Recovery mode" then do
nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
Find the line that boots Mint normally. It looks something like
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet
Delete quiet and save the changed file - then reboot (normal boot)
Now you can see whats happening and where the boot stops. This tells a lot about the possible error.
You can do it from the live CD as well.
DanielTx

Post by DanielTx »

I get the same thing in recovery mode. I can remove the quiet splash setting on the grub menu, I'll do that again and then post the last step of the boot process. I think the last step was at my cdrom/dvd burner, but that hardware hasn't changed since everything worked.
DanielTx

Post by DanielTx »

I remembered that I plugged in several devices at the end of my PC build. What appears to be the problem is my 2nd hard drive(it's IDE, the first - where xp and mint are installed is SATA). Mint or grub is trying to boot from my 2nd drive thinking it is the master I guess? It's a seagate barracuda and I don't have any jumper pins in it...What do I need to change to make mint boot from the SATA drive with both plugged in?
DanielTx

Re: Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Probelm Solved]

Post by DanielTx »

After reading a lot of message boards, I found that even though my hard drive boot order was set correctly in my bios, the bios was recognizing the IDE drive first, then the SATA. So the SATA drive is now sdb since I have the second drive plugged in.

I had to change /boot/grub/menu.lst to look for the linux kernel on sdb3 instead of sda3. I guess I'll need to remember this if I ever take out the IDE drive or replace it with a SATA drive.

Thanks for the help.
Husse

Re: Dual boot setup - Mint hangs on boot...[Problem Solved]

Post by Husse »

Just a remark to help people with mixed SATA/PATA
The boot order is set within each group and the boot order of the two groups is not possible to change - it's hard coded in the motherboard. First mostly PATA had priority now all boards with PATA has it as second in boot order

Return to “Beginner Questions”