How do I get the old gnome taskbar?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How do I get the old gnome taskbar?

Postby Mattd4AX3 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:58 pm

I love how mint sets everything up automatically, but the taskbar annoys me compared to the standard one you find in ubuntu.

Is there anyway to default it back to the old gnome double taskbar?(With the two little desktop squares at the bottom aswell)
Custom-Built comp, Mint for desktop, Windows Vista for gaming, shared data partition for personal docs:
AMD x2 4200 2.2ghz
MSI 8600GTS stock OCed
Asus m2n-e mobo
2x1gb, 2x512mb=3gbs ddr2 800
Seagate 230gb drive
Mattd4AX3
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I get the old gnome taskbar?

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:16 pm

It is explained in the Linux Mint user guide which you can download here : http://linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide-4.1.pdf :wink:
Basically, remove MintMenu from panel, and then add Gnome Menu Bar.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Mattd4AX3 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 pm

ed@Mint wrote:It is explained in the Linux Mint user guide which you can download here : http://linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide-4.1.pdf :wink:
Basically, remove MintMenu from panel, and then add Gnome Menu Bar.

I didn't know there was a guide :).

BTW the link is broken(404) but I found this somewhere on the forums, ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/4.0/LinuxMint-4.0-User-Guide_v1.pdf.

Thanks for the help, I'm new to Linux so I didn't know about configuring all the panels and stuff, thanks :D!!
Custom-Built comp, Mint for desktop, Windows Vista for gaming, shared data partition for personal docs:
AMD x2 4200 2.2ghz
MSI 8600GTS stock OCed
Asus m2n-e mobo
2x1gb, 2x512mb=3gbs ddr2 800
Seagate 230gb drive
Mattd4AX3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Glad i could help you :)
And sorry for the broken link :oops:

cya later
peace
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions