Actually, after a little searching, I've decided to avoid the NCSD issue altogether and using an application called eMusicJ in place of eMusic's download manager. I got the tip off Ubuntu's boards, but I've lost the link. Anyway, if anybody else is into eMusic, at first blush eMusicJ seems to be a more than capable substitute for eMusic's own manager. The installation was so easy, that even I, a Linux newbie, could do it without much trouble if I went slowly and carefully. I just downloaded three albums, and they all seem to have arrived in perfect shape, placed just where I wanted them. I'm a happy camper now; I feared I was going to have to use my eMusic the hard way (i.e., song by song).
Olivia 15 Cinnamon 64, dual-boot Win 7 Pro 64 SP1, Clevo W150ER 15.6" laptop, i7 3630M, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB/HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, Nvidia GT 650M 1 GB, USB 3.0 HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, HP Photosmart C5280