adefa06 wrote:Hi guys and gals(are there any linux gals?)!
I'm a complete noob to Linux. I decided to make the switch so I've been searching for distros naturally after I really decided that I do want to convert(!). My aim was to find the easiest yet most comprehensive and stable version of Linux so bad first impressions don't occur. I found Ubuntu and then I found Linux Mint. I ran Linux Mint on my home PC and I have to say I am impressed. (Compared to other distros) However I put it on my laptop and it hung (just before entering gnome). I started the live CD with safe graphics options and it did boot. I didn't have the same problem with Ubuntu. So can anyone help me?
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the following specs:
Intel Core Duo 2GHz with 2MB L2 Cache
Intel 945PM Chipset
2048 MB DDR 533MHz shared channel SDRAM
120 GB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Disk
Nvidia Go7300 with 128 MB of Dedicated video memory (and 128 MB shared)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio
DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (Ethernet/ Wirelss)
Ask me for any other specs if needed and I will tell them.
I also have some other questions:
1. Where can I find some good Linux tutorials? (I need to learn fast)
2. Does Linux have something like ClearType in Win (Small fonts are really not much readable on LCDs without it)?
3. I haven't been able to play MIDI files.
4. I have seen a mini media player control (with just back, play and forward buttons) on panel in some linux screenshots. Any idea what is it?
5. I have seen some distros that boot up much faster than Linux Mint (on same computer, in Line CD mode ,i.e. Debian) why is that so?
Thanks in advance
Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Spiceman, Yahoo [Bot] and 41 guests