a noob desperate for help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

a noob desperate for help

Postby adefa06 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi guys and gals(are there any linux gals?)!
I'm a complete noob to Linux. I decided to make the switch so I've been searching for distros naturally after I really decided that I do want to convert(!). My aim was to find the easiest yet most comprehensive and stable version of Linux so bad first impressions don't occur. I found Ubuntu and then I found Linux Mint. I ran Linux Mint on my home PC and I have to say I am impressed. (Compared to other distros) However I put it on my laptop and it hung (just before entering gnome). I started the live CD with safe graphics options and it did boot. I didn't have the same problem with Ubuntu. So can anyone help me?

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the following specs:
Intel Core Duo 2GHz with 2MB L2 Cache
Intel 945PM Chipset
2048 MB DDR 533MHz shared channel SDRAM
120 GB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Disk
Nvidia Go7300 with 128 MB of Dedicated video memory (and 128 MB shared)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio
DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (Ethernet/ Wirelss)
Ask me for any other specs if needed and I will tell them.

I also have some other questions:
1. Where can I find some good Linux tutorials? (I need to learn fast)
2. Does Linux have something like ClearType in Win (Small fonts are really not much readable on LCDs without it)?
3. I haven't been able to play MIDI files.
4. I have seen a mini media player control (with just back, play and forward buttons) on panel in some linux screenshots. Any idea what is it?
5. I have seen some distros that boot up much faster than Linux Mint (on same computer, in Line CD mode ,i.e. Debian) why is that so?
Thanks in advance
adefa06
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: a noob desperate for help

Postby adefa06 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Correction : Kanotix booted up much faster, not Debian. I even don't know if Debian has a Live CD mode.
adefa06
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mattd4AX3 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:11 pm

adefa06 wrote:Hi guys and gals(are there any linux gals?)!
I'm a complete noob to Linux. I decided to make the switch so I've been searching for distros naturally after I really decided that I do want to convert(!). My aim was to find the easiest yet most comprehensive and stable version of Linux so bad first impressions don't occur. I found Ubuntu and then I found Linux Mint. I ran Linux Mint on my home PC and I have to say I am impressed. (Compared to other distros) However I put it on my laptop and it hung (just before entering gnome). I started the live CD with safe graphics options and it did boot. I didn't have the same problem with Ubuntu. So can anyone help me?

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the following specs:
Intel Core Duo 2GHz with 2MB L2 Cache
Intel 945PM Chipset
2048 MB DDR 533MHz shared channel SDRAM
120 GB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Disk
Nvidia Go7300 with 128 MB of Dedicated video memory (and 128 MB shared)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio
DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (Ethernet/ Wirelss)
Ask me for any other specs if needed and I will tell them.

I also have some other questions:
1. Where can I find some good Linux tutorials? (I need to learn fast)
2. Does Linux have something like ClearType in Win (Small fonts are really not much readable on LCDs without it)?
3. I haven't been able to play MIDI files.
4. I have seen a mini media player control (with just back, play and forward buttons) on panel in some linux screenshots. Any idea what is it?
5. I have seen some distros that boot up much faster than Linux Mint (on same computer, in Line CD mode ,i.e. Debian) why is that so?
Thanks in advance

I don't see why it wouldn't boot on that, one of the more experience guys should be able to help you with that.
EDIT: Read the post a little wrong there, hehehe, Have you tried reinstalling it again?

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/HOWTOs
http://www.linuxforums.org/

If you need to find out how to do ANYTHING your best bet is usally through google, http://www.google.com/ .
It's also good to read the mint-manual, it helps with very basic things, such as learning the interface. ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/4.0/LinuxMint-4.0-User-Guide_v1.pdf
2.I'm not sure, I believe there's a option to enhance readability for fonts of LCDs, right click on your desktop and change backround and look in the tabs for fonts. I'm not in mint right now but I'll check when I restart.(using a windows app)
3.No idea about the midi, sorry.
4.I'd like to know about this too, Amarok might have a option for it.
5. Mint's based on Ubuntu which, doesn't have the fastest bootup speed. I couldn't tell you why, but alot of distros I've tried bootup faster and then get resource-hogged by the distro; like in Mandriva(not saying the problem is linked).

Good luck!
Custom-Built comp, Mint for desktop, Windows Vista for gaming, shared data partition for personal docs:
AMD x2 4200 2.2ghz
MSI 8600GTS stock OCed
Asus m2n-e mobo
2x1gb, 2x512mb=3gbs ddr2 800
Seagate 230gb drive
Mattd4AX3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BAD on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:04 pm

To learn Linux try Linux.org they have a tutorial, also look at Linux.com or buy a book Ubuntu and Fedora both have books with CD's. Fedora and Mint both have a nice Documentation help guild online. Fedora is nice there are a few things it does not have out of box so you can learn to install things manually.

To change fonts in the gnome desktop try system-appearance-fonts.

Why do you need to learn fast?

If you need a printer to work out of box good luck with that. Check linuxprinting.org to see if your printer even works then cross your fingers it work out of box and you don't have to fuss with it.

Do other distro's actually boot faster or do they stay in black screen longer than Mint. All live CD's have to do the same thing detect hardware, install software then load the desktop. Perhaps the other distro's have less software or load a lighter desktop than Gnome.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions