System hog

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

System hog

Postby bgast1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:33 am

It seems Mint runs slow sometimes. Is Ubuntu or Mint known for being a system hog? I have a Pentium 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology. 1 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz Front side bus, 3.2 GHz., 2.5 gig ram. Video card ATI Radeon X1950 Pro PCIe. Using on-board sound because I don't know how to get my Creative X-fi Extreme Gamer card to work in linux.

I would have thought this would be plenty of system resources for Linux.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: System hog

Postby Mattd4AX3 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:55 am

Runs fine on my system which is just a bit better than yours, what about your harddrive?
Custom-Built comp, Mint for desktop, Windows Vista for gaming, shared data partition for personal docs:
AMD x2 4200 2.2ghz
MSI 8600GTS stock OCed
Asus m2n-e mobo
2x1gb, 2x512mb=3gbs ddr2 800
Seagate 230gb drive
Mattd4AX3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bgast1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:16 am

3 hard drive -- 1 houses windows XP which runs fine, even with system intensive games. , 2nd drive houses linux mint. (I have installed a few games, and they don't seem to want to run very well. Perhaps I have a problem with my video driver. I installed the restricted driver. Don't know how to use envy or what to do from there. I have compiz working and a cube.) My 3rd drive is 750 gig, formatted NTFS. Mint seems to handle all of the data that I have put on it so far, so I might leave it NTFS so I can share music files with Windows.

It actually runs ok, but my fan is going full blast, and just seems to lag sometimes.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby lancern on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:37 am

My system specs are much lower than yours and mint kde and mint xfce both run
smooth for me..
The envy drivers for mint xfce worked great for me..but the envy drivers on mint kde
gave me alot of problems..had to use the restricted drivers for kde..
lancern
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sundayrefugee on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Make sure that you have the "Romeo" repos enabled, and install the updated MintMenu and MintUpdate. There were problems with the "shipping" versions of both in which they consumed a tremendous amount of resources. This should solve part of your problems.

Also, keep an eye on the "compiz.real" process. It's been known to randomly skyrocket and consume a vast amount of system resources, sometimes locking up a system completely. This is why I'm personally against "compiz-by-default" - user problems almost invariably trace back to compiz at the moment. Try disabling "desktop effects" for a little while, and see if that doesn't help, and report back ;-)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bgast1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:20 pm

I used Envy to uninstall and reinstall the video driver. Will also desktop effects as well for a bit and see if it makes a difference.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bgast1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, using Envy did not help, neither did disabling desktop effects. Ended up doing a reinstall of Mint. It is completely up to date as well. One of the things that I had to do was enter this

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl

to get Compiz to work. But some of the games that I had installed said that I did not have 3d acceleration enabled. That just doesn't make sense. My video card is an ATI Radeon X1950pro PCIe.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions