system overheat

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

system overheat

Postby docbillias on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Hello guys, I got a big problem with my linux mint 4.0. I got an HP dv9541, intel centrino duo T5450, nvidia 8400M GS, 1 giga memory. I run dual boot from an external usb hard drive (curious thing, vista can't even find it after I installed linux on it).
When I boot, even when it was running from the liveCD (now installed), it gave me an error message "failure to allocate mem" then some numbers. It then works properly, but after 1-2 hours or so graphics start to slow down, the touchpad doesn't respond very sharply and then crushes completely, can't even reboot before it cools down a bit. I can tell there 's a connection between overheating and slowing down, since windows vista doesn't behave this way (it's much slower from the begging and remains such-damn it-but does not warm up).

How can I get it fixed, since I like linux, and if possible I would'n go back to vista. Thank you very much, keep up the good work.
docbillias
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: system overheat

Postby stevenofnine on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

A system overheats and shuts down when it can't cool properly.

Your Pavilion Laptop should be able to run at 100% CPU and never shut down, if cooled properly.

I would recommend getting it looked at. You could even take it apart and clean out the cooling system, first. Please see to your maintenance, first, then come back and let us know what happened.
stevenofnine
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dutchmaster on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:18 pm

It should be already present, but double check and make sure powernowd is installed from the repo.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I have a HP dvsomething with same graphics, but a different processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2), and I have noticed that the touchpad deactivating feature could be a bit buggy on debian based distro's, and the nv driver isn't all that stable with that card. Other than that I have never experienced anything similar to that, do you have the proprietary nVidia drivers enabled (envy)?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby docbillias on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:00 pm

MagnusB wrote:I have a HP dvsomething with same graphics, but a different processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2), and I have noticed that the touchpad deactivating feature could be a bit buggy on debian based distro's, and the nv driver isn't all that stable with that card. Other than that I have never experienced anything similar to that, do you have the proprietary nVidia drivers enabled (envy)?

I 'm such a newbie... You were right, nvidia drivers weren't enabled. I got them right this time (at least I hope). I can still feel the machine pumping out some heat - much less than before, but got no slow-downs and the touch pad works fine so far!

Thank you so much, all of you. More stupid questions coming up soon.
docbillias
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm

We'll be waiting :)
And we all have had some stupid questions at one time or another, everybody needs to start somewhere...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions