kernel update problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

kernel update problems

Postby ti479 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:58 pm

hello,

i recently updated (or allowed mintupdate to) update my kernel. consequently since then i have not been able to shut down my laptop. I had this problem once before when i installed mint in the first place and after many guesses on which line in the grub menu to edit, i found the right one and added apm=off and acpi=forced. since the update i have tried every thing i know to get the grub to shut down completely. i have added the apm=off and acpi=forced to every line in the menu to no avail. if there is something i havent tried or done something incorrectly (which is a likely possiblity ) then someone please tell me. any help pr experience will be greatly appreciated.

scott
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: kernel update problems

Postby Tony G on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:25 am

Could you clarify "not able to shutdown"?

To force a reboot, have you tried REISUB?. I haven't tried it, but apparantly REISUB has a cousin too.
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 am

Have you tried typing in a terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo shutdown now -P
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby ti479 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 pm

hello, let me clairify,

by not able to shut down-- i mean that when i click quit and then choose shut down, my machine goes throught the motions of it , buit i wind up at a black screen with a flashing cursor.

i have not tried to use sudo shutdown- all? or is it -p. anyway, i didnt try these things because i dont want to have to do this everytime i want to shut my computer off. if i cannot get the machine to shut down properly then i will try a non-debian based distro as this seems to be a problem with Ubuntu or any of its derivitives...... i like mint the best of all the the distros that i have tried and i hate windows.....so please tell me how to correct this problem.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tony G on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:54 pm

ti479 wrote:after many guesses on which line in the grub menu to edit, i found the right one and added apm=off and acpi=forced.

I don't have personal experience with your issue, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks like your grub edit is the opposite of what it needs to be.

Best of luck, and please do report back.
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 pm

ti479,

Navigate to "/boot/grub/menu.lst" and open that file. Toward the bottom of the page you will see a line like this:

## ## End Default Options ##

After that you will see several lines together that constitute your primary boot stanza. One of those will look something like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash

Add a space and "acpi=off" right after the "quiet splash". No quotes.

Save the file and exit. Be careful and try not to make a typo.

See if that helps you. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions