3D hardware acceleration.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

3D hardware acceleration.

Postby Surreal Killa on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:26 am

Well the entire time I've been using Linux I've never been able to play most of the Linux games. There's either one problem or another. But it seems to do a lot with 3D hardware acceleration. I install the driver for my ATI Radeon X300 (xorg-driver-fglrx) and I can enable the Extra Visual Effects no problem (I have to install xserver-xgl for this) but basically it all works and I get the max resolution for my monitor and everything seems good. But like I said I have problems with games. Well I've also tried installing the closed-source Linux driver for my card ATI provides and this results in nothing but a black screen. So then I tried using Envy, I installed the driver on the default settings and it basically worked the same as installing xorg-driver-fglrx, no change. I then tried changing some settings and it resulted in the black screen again (of course all these new driver installs were on fresh Linux installs). I just today installed Cedega and it did a test on my computer and everything passed except the OpenGL direct rendering. It said fail. Although I saw the box pop up and the 3 gears turning around fine, but it said fail. So I'm wondering what's going on and if I can fix this at all. Hope someone can help me.

I do plan on buying a new computer someday soon, and it will be an nVidia card so I'm hoping I won't have the same sort of problems.
Surreal Killa
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 3D hardware acceleration.

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:54 am

I do not have much time today so this is just a half answer
ATI cards used to be able to either show up Compiz or play games - not both
Check in the forum for ATI and compiz - perhaps best done from the start page
(also if you use the nick Lolo Uila in the search it helps)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions