Registering at VBOXUSERS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
confused

Registering at VBOXUSERS

Post by confused »

Hi people, I have installed Virtualbox and now need to register in the VBOXUSERS file. I have tried registering using various methods, but all to no avail. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Registering at VBOXUSERS

Post by Zwopper »

Well Linux is all about choises, here are a few ways to do it, there are probably more... :wink:
What you need to do is to add yourself to the VBOXUSERS group, in KDE you do this in System settings, System administration, User settings, Chose the Group tab, Administrator mode, and then add yourself to the VBOXUSERS group.
I don't remember where to find it in Gnome, but probably under "Users and Groups" or something similar, you got to have root privileges to perform this.
Otherwise you can edit the group file by pressing "Alt + F2" and typing (in KDE):

Code: Select all

sudo kate /etc/group/
and add yourself at the line where it says "vboxusers".

In Gnome:

sudo gedit /etc/group/
and add yourself at the line where it says "vboxusers".

...or by pressing "Alt F2" and typing (both KDE and Gnome) (make sure "Run in terminal" is checked):

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers "YOUR_USERNAME"
replace "YOUR_USERNAME" with your real username.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Registering at VBOXUSERS

Post by MagnusB »

If you want to use Alt+F2 to start a text editor/apps as root you have to use

kdesu
in KDE or

gksu
in GNOME..
Sudo only works in a shell, IIRC
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”