Update function in Linux Mint for updating to next version?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Update function in Linux Mint for updating to next version?

Post by Fred »

Mike,

If I may presume to call you by your first name. I was getting the cart before the horse. :-)

Welcome to Mint. I hope you will find time, from time to time, to stop in and share your knowledge. Husse runs a nice forum here. It is pretty much new user oriented and the atmosphere friendly and congenial.

If I, with my quite meager knowledge, can help you just let me know and I will do what I can to assist.

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

with my quite meager knowledge
That is more than an understatement!
Fred - you are one of the most knowledgeable people around
Oh as is AvanceIT
miket

Post by miket »

Hello !
Fred wrote:Mike,

If I may presume to call you by your first name. I was getting the cart before the horse. :-)
Please do use my name, I've had it for years so I may as well use it :)
Don't worry about the cart and horse, I've been using Linux forums for many years, it will take a lot to upset me ... so please do feel free
to express yourself ... it's the whole point of the forum!
Welcome to Mint. I hope you will find time, from time to time, to stop in and share your knowledge.
I'll do my best ... but I have forgotten so much ... I'm sure there are others here like yourself who know much more ;)
Husse runs a nice forum here. It is pretty much new user oriented and the atmosphere friendly and congenial.
Yes I really do enjoy this forum, as much as I enjoy Mint itself!
It has become my favorite distro' ... and my customers love it too!
Which reminds me ... I need to find out from Clem how I can help support the Mint Dev boys ....
If I, with my quite meager knowledge, can help you just let me know and I will do what I can to assist.
Fred
From what I have read it's not meager at all ;)

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

No no noooo .... not me .... just learning me .... always have been and always will be ;)
Husse wrote: Fred - you are one of the most knowledgeable people around
Oh as is AvanceIT
Fred

Post by Fred »

You guys need to get over all these complements. It makes me very nervous. I keep expecting the other foot to fall. lol

Besides it's making my head swell, which will never work around my wife. We made an agreement a long time ago. She is right and I am wrong. When I need to know something, she will tell me. I know this because she told me so. :-)

Fred
teaumaz

Post by teaumaz »

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I will simply go with the separate /home partition as this seems to be advocated by most people in different forums.

Thanks again! This was very informative for me!
Fred

Post by Fred »

teaumaz,

A separate /home partition is always a good choice. If you have problems or need anything post back and I'll be happy to help you.

Fred
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I could try to write the how to for unpacking and installing, but I'm running low on steam right now, so it's best to give you a link and have you read some first. You can also bookmark the page and return for more info as needed.
Try this one on for size (it will link to the page that deals with - Unpacking the Files):
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO-2.html
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !

I think you've got the process a little confused :)
What the command would do is create an archive, using the TAR archiving application, of the directory tree and then pass this onto the COMPRESS application
so that it creates a compressed archive file.
You don't have to compress it, however it would be faster to move a smaller file between devices, hence my suggestion.

It is an extremely reliable method for accomplishing what was requested.

As for the 7z format, I'm not familiar with this method as I would normally only use tools that are available on all UNIX platforms.

Hope this helps.

Mike.
N8Wolf wrote:Hi,
2) Why the need to Compress a backup and convert it to TAR (is it conversion that takes place?) Wouldn't it just work to just compress into i.e. 7z format?
teaumaz

Post by teaumaz »

Ok, so I reinstalled Mint last night, with separate /home partition, and got my virtualbox running Windows XP just the way I like it (with USB support etc.) However, if I were to install the new version of mint, those settings would be deleted, right? Or does Virtualbox keep its settings in a hidden folder under /home? Thanks for clarifying this!
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
teaumaz wrote:Ok, so I reinstalled Mint last night, with separate /home partition, and got my virtualbox running Windows XP just the way I like it (with USB support etc.) However, if I were to install the new version of mint, those settings would be deleted, right? Or does Virtualbox keep its settings in a hidden folder under /home? Thanks for clarifying this!
If you used the default storage area within VirtualBox for the VirtualMachines then all your VirtualMachine configuration information and VirtualHardDisks
will be in a directory called ".VirtualBox" in your "HomeDirectory".

If you open a terminal and type ls -la in your home directory you will get a listing of all the files and folders in your homedirectory, one of which will be the VirtualBox folder.

If you were to install another version of mint all your information in your home directory should be preserved as it should not be overwritten by the installer,
however you will have to re-install VirtualBox as the binaries do not come as part of the Mint installation.

Once this is done you can then start the VirtualBox Graphical User Interface and re-use your existing VirtualMachines.

Mike.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mike,

The only thing I would add to your advice is to be sure you install the same version of VirtualBox that you were using before you upgraded.

After you register you old virtual machine files with the appropriate version of VirtualBox you can then upgrade VirtualBox without problems.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”