Update function in Linux Mint for updating to next version?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Update function in Linux Mint for updating to next version?

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:19 am

Mind if I throw an idea in the pot? ...... I didn't hear any nahs so I guess that means go ahead. :-)

If you have the unused space, or can cobble together a partition or partitions large enough to hold all your data, you can do something like this:

Use a small /home partition, say 3 - 6 Gig. or no separate /home partition at all if you wish. Make several additional partitions to contain Music, Documents, Pictures, Downloads or whatever. Or make one larger partition, My_Data, let's say. Of course you need to move all the appropriate data into the appropriate partitions.

Create folders in your home directory reflecting the above names. Then mount those partitions in /etc/fstab as /home/username/Music .... /home/username/Pictures .... etc. In one of your data folders create a folder called ConfigBak. Copy all your hidden config files in your /home directory into ConfigBak.

When you install the new version use the same user name as the old install. Create your data folders in your /home again and go into fstab and change the mount points back to the newly created folders.

You can then copy back the config folders that you wanted to keep, to the /home directory from ConfigBak.

Viola... you are back in business. Now you have the extra security of having all your data on separate partitions. Even if your system completely self destructs your data is safely on its' own partitions.

There are all kinds of possibilities.... this is just one. Remember the basics. Linux doesn't see partitions or drives. It only sees the folders in the file system. The file system is everything. Once any folder in the system, including folders you create, is bound or mounted to a partition, Linux neither knows nor cares where the folder contents reside. It could be a different partition, a different drive, a different computer, out on the net, or wherever.

There are two requirements. You must have a folder in the system to mount to. You must have an entry in /etc/fstab with the correct path in order for it to mount automatically on boot.

You can mount the same partition to more than one folder, but you can't mount more than one partition to a given folder.

It's really not that hard once you get your head wrapped around the idea.

Fun ... huh! :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby miket on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:22 am

Yup, the man pages are all there ... I often use them on my systems which only give CLI interface, not everyone uses a GUI :)

sundayrefugee wrote:Are the man commands actually functional in *buntu and variants?
@Husse - gotcha ;-)
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:54 am

AvanceIT,

Before I would go to all that trouble, I would just go ahead and write a shell script and automate the whole thing. Then it could be reused. :-)

After all, we are already well over the thread starter's head anyway. Not throwing rocks at either you or the thread starter, but I don't think he would have posted the question he did, in the forum he did, if he was up to the exercise you have proposed. In fact, I would expect questions if he decides to do something like I suggested.

Don't take it personal. I can assure you I get carried away on a regular basis. lol

Enjoy Life, it is too short to do otherwise. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sundayrefugee on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:59 am

AvanceIT wrote:Yup, the man pages are all there ... I often use them on my systems which only give CLI interface, not everyone uses a GUI :)

sundayrefugee wrote:Are the man commands actually functional in *buntu and variants?
@Husse - gotcha ;-)

Aye, I like the CLI myself. But I haven't used man in so long, and I was recently reading about a distro that had stripped them. I thought it was ubuntu, but mayhaps it was Arch or Slackware or somesuch ;-)

@ Fred - remember Husse's advice about the "Newbie Factor"? :lol: You might want to explain what fstab is, how to edit it, and what to add ;-)

My personal rule of thumb - the new user sees the file system thusly, until educated: /bin is for trash, /usr is for the user's documents, /media is for music and movies, etc.... and only root is important, because Ubuntu locks it, and you can't get into it unless someone gives you the "cheat code" to type into a "dos prompt" ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby miket on Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:01 am

Hello !

Fair point .... and yes the shell script would make it reusable, but I was keeping it simple :)

I think it is good to introduce newbies to the world of the CLI though ;)

Mike.

Fred wrote:AvanceIT,
Before I would go to all that trouble, I would just go ahead and write a shell script and automate the whole thing. Then it could be reused. :-)
After all, we are already well over the thread starter's head anyway. Not throwing rocks at either you or the thread starter, but I don't think he would have posted the question he did, in the forum he did, if he was up to the exercise you have proposed. In fact, I would expect questions if he decides to do something like I suggested.
Don't take it personal. I can assure you I get carried away on a regular basis. lol

Fred
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby sundayrefugee on Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:04 am

AvanceIT wrote:Hello !

Fair point .... and yes the shell script would make it reusable, but I was keeping it simple :)

I think it is good to introduce newbies to the world of the CLI though ;)

Mike.

Fred

LOL I agree with Fred - the last 1 1/2 pages have been *far* beyond beginner or newbie :lol:
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:08 am

AvanceIT,

Believe it or not I agree with you. I just hope you can keep him with you. If you start him down this path be prepared to be patient and do a lot of hand holding to get him through. I guess that was my biggest point. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby miket on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:06 am

Hi Fred !

Fortunately for me I've done a lot of training with "Newbies" in the UNIX world so I am more than happy to break it down into
newbie palletable chunks ;)

From my experience, if someone is interested enough they will push themselves further ...
Time will tell :)

Mike.

Believe it or not I agree with you. I just hope you can keep him with you. If you start him down this path be prepared to be patient and do a lot of hand holding to get him through. I guess that was my biggest point. :-)

Fred
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:31 am

sundayrefugee,

Yes, you are correct. I would indeed expect questions if he shows an interest in that path.

Your explanation of the file system gives me a headach, however. lol

Just to avoid confusion teaumaz, the explanation sundayrefugee gave for the file system above was slightly flawed. It was a joke. :-)

There is some good information in this thread, but don't let it overwhelm you. One of us will help you through, whichever way you think might be best for you. There isn't a right or wrong way here. Just choices. There are many of them available to you in Linux.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:55 am

Mike,

If I may presume to call you by your first name. I was getting the cart before the horse. :-)

Welcome to Mint. I hope you will find time, from time to time, to stop in and share your knowledge. Husse runs a nice forum here. It is pretty much new user oriented and the atmosphere friendly and congenial.

If I, with my quite meager knowledge, can help you just let me know and I will do what I can to assist.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm

with my quite meager knowledge

That is more than an understatement!
Fred - you are one of the most knowledgeable people around
Oh as is AvanceIT
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby miket on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Hello !

Fred wrote:Mike,

If I may presume to call you by your first name. I was getting the cart before the horse. :-)

Please do use my name, I've had it for years so I may as well use it :)
Don't worry about the cart and horse, I've been using Linux forums for many years, it will take a lot to upset me ... so please do feel free
to express yourself ... it's the whole point of the forum!

Welcome to Mint. I hope you will find time, from time to time, to stop in and share your knowledge.

I'll do my best ... but I have forgotten so much ... I'm sure there are others here like yourself who know much more ;)

Husse runs a nice forum here. It is pretty much new user oriented and the atmosphere friendly and congenial.

Yes I really do enjoy this forum, as much as I enjoy Mint itself!
It has become my favorite distro' ... and my customers love it too!
Which reminds me ... I need to find out from Clem how I can help support the Mint Dev boys ....

If I, with my quite meager knowledge, can help you just let me know and I will do what I can to assist.
Fred

From what I have read it's not meager at all ;)

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby miket on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:54 pm

No no noooo .... not me .... just learning me .... always have been and always will be ;)

Husse wrote:Fred - you are one of the most knowledgeable people around
Oh as is AvanceIT
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:48 pm

You guys need to get over all these complements. It makes me very nervous. I keep expecting the other foot to fall. lol

Besides it's making my head swell, which will never work around my wife. We made an agreement a long time ago. She is right and I am wrong. When I need to know something, she will tell me. I know this because she told me so. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sundayrefugee on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Fred wrote:You guys need to get over all these complements. It makes me very nervous. I keep expecting the other foot to fall. lol

Besides it's making my head swell, which will never work around my wife. We made an agreement a long time ago. She is right and I am wrong. When I need to know something, she will tell me. I know this because she told me so. :-)

Fred

As one married man to another, you have just proven your wisdom :wink:
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby teaumaz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:26 am

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I will simply go with the separate /home partition as this seems to be advocated by most people in different forums.

Thanks again! This was very informative for me!
teaumaz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:25 am

teaumaz,

A separate /home partition is always a good choice. If you have problems or need anything post back and I'll be happy to help you.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby N8Wolf on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 am

Hi,
Obvious NOOB here, have been using Mint for about a month now, but just the click click click version.
I agree with 'sundayrefugee' in how the naming conventions could be translated by a NOOB. That's exactly my initial version of what is what.

Could someone please explain two things then:
1) A bit more on the FSTAB and setting NIX up to auto mount devices and partitions as this is a must for a network I'll be setting up next week
2) Why the need to Compress a backup and convert it to TAR (is it conversion that takes place?) Wouldn't it just work to just compress into i.e. 7z format?
I just remembered a P.S. # 3...

If a new package of any kind is received as a .tar.gz , I've figured out that I can uncompress it via Click click, Right-Click and then making a shortcut to the "executable" (M$ background is strong I confess), but this obviously does not add the package to the Synaptic Package Manager repository.
Finally my last question then: Step by step pls someone, after I've downloaded i.e. Oxygen Office (OOP_2.4.tar.gz), how will a NOOB install this, please?

Thanx
N8Wolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:33 am

I could try to write the how to for unpacking and installing, but I'm running low on steam right now, so it's best to give you a link and have you read some first. You can also bookmark the page and return for more info as needed.
Try this one on for size (it will link to the page that deals with - Unpacking the Files):
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO-2.html
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:18 am

There are also some links in the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... eb_package
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions